The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

Ukrainians who have received temporary protection status in Croatia can receive one-time financial assistance. Payments are provided for one person or family in the amount of 330 to 460 euros. The funds are intended to cover extraordinary expenses arising in connection with current life circumstances.

You can submit a request for a one-time financial assistance to a social worker on duty at Shelter Centers and Collective Accommodation facilities. If you are in individual private housing, you can apply to the Social Protection Center and its branchesx in Croatia (addresses available here).

Additional information can be obtained by calling +385 99 399 7317 or writing to

What other help can Ukrainians in Croatia receive?

The Red Cross helps with food, clothing and medicine. The application can be made at the link.

The Caritas organization helps with food and other necessary things (more details).

How do I set up a bank account?

It is possible to open a local bank account with the following information:

  • Passport or ID card;
  • Confirmation of employment;
  • Confirmation of address;
  • OIB (personal identification number).

Ukrainian citizens can open a bank account at Erste Bank with their Ukrainian ID or passport.

In addition, Erste Group's subsidiary banks throughout Central Europe are providing Ukrainian refugees with access to free accounts to facilitate money supply and transfers.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can withdraw cash at a bank or at an ATM. You can exchange currencies at banks, exchange bureaus or at an ATM.

To learn about exchanging UAH to HRK, visit this website.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

If you plan to stay in Croatia for a long time, you will have to pay taxes in this country. Read more about the taxation system here.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

In this case, individual consultation with a professional lawyer is necessary.

Read more about the taxation system here.

How to avoid double taxation?

There is an ingenious, but not perfect, solution โ€” to prove to the tax authority of the state in which the citizen does not plan to pay taxes that he is a resident of another country where he fulfills this duty.

A natural person has such a right, as Ukraine has valid conventions and treaties on the avoidance of double taxation with 73 countries of the world. Among them are almost all European countries, as well as the USA and Canada. According to these conventions, Ukrainians who pay taxes in Ukraine have the right to avoid taxation in the country of residence.

If such a situation arises in which a citizen falls under the criteria of a tax resident of Ukraine and at the same time another state defines him as its resident, he has the right to contact the tax authorities of the country of residence and make a request to the Ukrainian tax authorities to confirm that he pays taxes.

That is, in order to prevent double taxation, it is necessary to determine the resident status of an individual and, if necessary, obtain a document that will confirm it. But this may require the help of specialists - tax consultants or lawyers. Specialists advise in advance to collect evidence of the presence of a center of economic interests in Ukraine (if you plan to pay taxes only in Ukraine).

Among them may be:

  • certificate of payment of taxes in Ukraine;
  • certificate of tax resident of Ukraine (soon to be available in electronic form);
  • actual place of registration in Ukraine;
  • evidence of the presence of an individual entrepreneur registered in Ukraine (registration documents and tax declarations);
  • certificates of current accounts in Ukrainian banks;
  • certificates about the child's attendance at educational institutions in Ukraine;
  • receipts for the payment of utility bills.

If a citizen of Ukraine is recognized as a resident of Ukraine, but paid taxes in another country, the taxes paid can be credited in Ukraine. But if a person does not meet the criteria of a resident of Ukraine, it allows to change the tax resident status and consider another country as the place of tax payment.

It is important to check the registration of a natural person as a subject of entrepreneurial activity in the Unified State Register. Even if the activity has not been carried out for a long time, but the registration has not been terminated, this is a criterion for recognizing a person as a resident of Ukraine, which is accompanied by the obligation to pay taxes on income received abroad in Ukraine.

Being a citizen of Ukraine, but a tax NON-resident, you will still have to pay taxes in Ukraine for some types of income:

  • when receiving inheritance and gifts from persons who are not relatives of the 1st and 2nd degrees of kinship;
  • when receiving an investment profit;
  • when selling/leasing immovable and movable property to a natural person.


How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Croatia to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.