The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

Are there any differences in traffic rules in this country compared to Ukrainian ones?

In Slovenia the permitted maximum speed is:

  • 10 km/h in traffic calming and pedestrian zones,
  • 30 km/h in speed limited zones,
  • 50 km/h in built-up areas,
  • 90 km/h on other roads outside built-up areas,
  • 110 km/h on highways,
  • 130 km/h on motorways.

Main driving rules in Slovenia are:

  • Vehicles drive on the right side of the road;
  • Vehicles must have the daytime running lamps or dipped-beam headlights turned on all year long at all times of the day;
  • Turning right at a red traffic light is only allowed at traffic lights at junctions where there is a black sign with a green arrow pointing to the right next to the red light;
  • Children up to 140 cm of height or 36 kg must use a child car seat;
  • All passengers must have their safety belts fastened;
  • Motorcyclists and their passengers are required to wear a helmet;
  • The legal alcohol limit for category B drivers is 0.24 g/mb or 0.5 per mille of alcohol, many categories of drivers, such as a novice driver, may not have any alcohol in their organism;
  • Phone calls are only allowed when made using a hands-free kit;
  • Winter gear is mandatory from 15th November to 15th March and in winter conditions (winter tires or snow chains in the car).
Is it possible to drive a car with a Ukrainian driver's license?

Persons fleeing Ukraine may continue to use their Ukrainian driving licence without having to exchange it for an EU driving licence or pass a new driving test according to EU rules.

Is it necessary to register the car in the new country of residence?

Vehicles owned by foreigners who, on the basis of a residence registration certificate or a permanent or temporary residence permit, have registered their permanent or temporary residence in the Republic of Slovenia, must be registered in the Republic of Slovenia. These vehicles must be registered in the Republic of Slovenia within 30 days of the declaration of permanent or temporary residence in the Republic of Slovenia. These vehicles will be issued with a traffic licence valid for up to one year.

To register your vehicle, you will have to submit a number of documents:

  • Proof of origin and ownership of the vehicle.
  • A certificate of conformity or consent to registration.
  • Proof of motor third-party liability insurance.
  • Proof of payment of the annual road user charge.
  • A certificate of roadworthiness of the vehicle (must not be older than 30 days).
Is it possible to drive a car that has Ukrainian registration, but is registered not to the driver, but to another person? What documents are needed for this?

We recommend having a foreign driving permit (a statement from the owner of the vehicle allowing you to drive the vehicle abroad) as proof that the vehicle is not being stolen or trafficked.

Is it necessary to insure the car in the host country? Is Ukrainian insurance enough?

In Slovenia you are legally obligated to have third-party liability insurance.

All compulsory third-party liability insurance is valid in all other EU countries.

For information regarding the additional, optional insurance for the driver and third-party insurance to cover other damage, please check the insurance conditions with an individual insurer.

What is a vignette? Do Ukrainian drivers need to buy it? How and where can they buy it?

A vignette is a toll payment method for vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of up to 3500 kg for the usage of motorways and expressways. In Slovenia drivers can only purchase an e-vignette. By purchasing the e-vignette, you get the right to use all motorways and expressways in the Republic of Slovenia for the e-vignette validity period and the toll is not paid based on the distance driven.

The e-vignette is linked to the vehicle registration plate number. When purchasing the e-vignette, you need to enter the registration plate number and country in which the vehicle wasregistered, and choose an e-vignette for the right toll class. If the registration number in the e-vignette system does not match the registration plate number of the vehicle driving on the motorway or expressway, the toll is not deemed to be paid. The customer is responsible for entering a correct registration plate number and selecting an appropriate toll class.

Tolls for using motorways and expressways can be paid for four different time periods, during which you can freely use all toll roads.

You can purchase an annual, a semi-annual, a monthly or a weekly e-vignette. All types can be purchased with a delayed start of their validity.

For more info and to purchase an e-vignette online, please see the following website mceclip0.png. E-vignettes can also be bought at authorised dealers (petrol stations, etc.).

Etolls mceclip0.png is an application for purchasing electronic vignettes to pay for travel in 7 European countries, including Slovenia, developed by Ukrainians. The application is simple and intuitive. More detailed information is available on the website mceclip0.png.

What are the parking rules?

In Slovenia, parking rules depend on the local area and your vehicle. Generally, motorcycles and mopeds are exempted from parking fees, but may not be parked on spots provided for cars. Many communities provide free parking for electric cars while they are charging.

Urban areas are commonly short-term parking zones where you have to pay parking fees according to the parking duration. Parking fees can be paid on parking meters or on mobile apps. The zones are marked on the parking meters and on the traffic signs next to the parking meter or at the beginning of the street.

Some cities offer residents parking permits, which allow unlimited parking in public areas. For more information on parking in Ljubljana please see cityโ€™s official information page on parking mceclip0.png.

Generally, In Slovenia the parking situation is rather complex, so please make sure to check on the local parking conditions before every trip.

What are the most common fines? How and where can Ukrainians pay them?

The most common fines in road traffic in Slovenia are:

  • driving under the influence of alcohol โ€“ fines range from 300-1.200 EUR and from 4-18 penalty points;
  • speeding โ€“ fines range from 40-1.200 EUR and 3-18 penalty points;
  • illegal parking โ€“ fines range from 40-80 EUR;
  • failure to observe the safety distance โ€“ fines up to 300 EUR;
  • talking on the phone without hands-free kits while driving โ€“120 EUR fine;
  • driving without wintergear โ€“ fines up to 500 EUR;
  • not wearing a safety belt โ€“ 120 EUR fine.

Fines can be paid by universal payment order (UPN).

For further information see the Slovenian Road Traffic Rules Act (Slovenian legislation acts are also available in English; accessible at: mceclip0.png).

What documents are required for registration of trailers/cargo (equipment, furniture, etc.)?

Trailers and trailer caravans have to be registered.

To register your vehicle, you will have to submit a number of documents:

  • Proof of origin and ownership of the vehicle;
  • A certificate of conformity or consent to registration;
  • Proof of motor third-party liability insurance;
  • Proof of payment of the annual road user charge; and
  • A certificate of roadworthiness of the vehicle (must not be older than 30 days).

Light weight trailers (max 750 kg) do not have to be registered but need to have flawless roadworthy devices and equipment and have to marked with a vehicle registration marking of the towing vehicle on a registration plate and need to have a valid roadworthiness certificate.

Changes made to a vehicle that do not adversely affect the safety or environmental characteristics of a vehicle and can be carried out correctly and in a simple way before the vehicle's entry into service do not need to be recorded (e.g. installation of cargo carriers, antennas, decorative covers).

Do Ukrainians need to declare what they bought in Europe?

As a private individual there are no limits on what you can buy and take with you when travelling between EU countries as long as the products purchased are for your own use and not for resale. Taxes (VAT and excise) are included in the price of the product in the country where you bought it, so no further payments are due in any other EU country.

However, to determine if the products you have bought are for your own use, EU customs authorities can assess the goods and/or other stuff at several different elements such as, if you own or work for a commercial business, how the goods are packaged and transported etc. They will also look at the quantity of products you are travelling with.

If customs authorities suspect that you are carrying goods which are not for your own use, or are intended for resale, you may be asked to prove that they are (proof of purchase etc.). If you cannot provide sufficient evidence, you might be asked to pay duties or your products could be confiscated.

If you plan to enter or leave the EU with amount EUR 10,000 or more in cash (or the equivalent in other currencies) you must declare it to the customs authorities.

For more info see the following EU site mceclip0.png.