The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

Are there any differences in traffic rules in this country compared to Ukrainian ones?

Public transport vehicles, trucks/vehicles over 3.5 tons or vehicles with trailers with the weight of 750 kg have their designated lane on the highways.

Safe distances must be maintained between vehicles of any kind. When overtaking, the driver of the overtaken vehicle must give way to the overtaking vehicle for safe overtaking.

Driving under the influence of alcohol, medication or anything that could worsen the driverโ€™s senses is strictly prohibited.

The driving age in Slovakia is 18 years. There is an exception when the driverโ€™s license is granted before the age of 18 years, however such driver must until the age of 18 for at least 3 months drive only in the presence of a person with a driverโ€™s license for at least 10 years sitting in the passenger seat next to the driver.

Speed limits and parking rules in Ukraine are not so strict than in Slovakia. In Slovakia, speed limits for vehicles less than 3.5 tons are as follows:

  • Highways in municipalities: 90 km/h; outside municipalities: 130 km/h
  • Other roads in municipalities: 50 km/h; outside municipalities: 90 km/h
Is it possible to drive a car with a Ukrainian driver's license?

Yes, it is possible. There is no need to exchange Ukrainian license for EU driving license. However, you can voluntarily exchange it for an equivalent one in your new country of residence if you wish.

Ukrainians who fled Russiaโ€™s invasion of Ukraine and got temporary protection status will be able to continue using their Ukrainian driving license, without the need to exchange it for an EU driving license or to take a new driving test, as long as they enjoy the temporary protection status. If their driving license is lost or stolen, EU countries will be able to issue new EU driving licenses, provided they verify with Ukrainian authorities that the person held a valid driverยดs license in the country and the individuals present a certificate that they are physically and mentally fit to drive.

Under certain conditions, Ukrainian refugees who worked as lorry and bus drivers will be able to get their Ukrainian-issued certificates of professional competence recognized in the EU, following a short training course and a test. This will enable them to work in the EU during the period of temporary protection and to help export Ukrainian goods.

Is it necessary to register the car in the new country of residence?

As a general rule, within the EU you are required to register your new car in the country where you have your permanent residence. In the Slovak Republic, you are obliged to register your car at district Transport Inspectorate related to your permanent residence (in the case of company related to its registered seat). You have to do so within 30 days (in online registration within 15 days). If you miss this deadline you have to submit also proof of identity of the vehicle and its history (โ€œkontrola originalityโ€) not older than 15 days.

However, if you have received temporary protection status, you do not need to register your vehicle anywhere.

Is it possible to drive a car that has Ukrainian registration, but is registered not to the driver, but to another person? What documents are needed for this?

In general, it is not prohibited to drive another personโ€™s car. However, in case of a police control, you should be able to justify the legal title for the use of the car. From a practical perspective we recommend to have a power of attorney for the use of the motor vehicle.

Is it necessary to insure the car in the host country? Is Ukrainian insurance enough?

Ukrainian insurance will not suffice. In the case of vehicles normally based in a third country, the owner or driver of the vehicle upon entering the Slovak Republic must have either a green card valid for the territory of the EEA (issued in Ukraine) or conclude a border insurance contract in Slovakia. This is only compulsory insurance which has territorial validity within the European Union. The validity of the documents must cover the entire duration of the stay in the territory of the EEA.

What is a vignette? Do Ukrainian drivers need to buy it? How and where can they buy it?

A vignette may be required to use specified road sections (highways). Slovakia has an electronic system of vignette payment collection.

Cars registered in Ukraine do not need a vignette. The National Motorway Company, a. s. (NDS) will waive toll fees for all humanitarian convoys (trucks over 3.5 tons carrying humanitarian goods).

Vehicles registered in Ukraine are exempted from the payment of the vignette during an emergency situation declared in connection with a mass influx of foreigners to the territory of the Slovak Republic caused by the Russiaโ€™s invasion of Ukraine.

More useful information here mceclip0.png.

Etolls mceclip0.png is an application for purchasing electronic vignettes to pay for travel in 7 European countries, including Slovakia, developed by Ukrainians. The application is simple and intuitive. More detailed information is available on the website mceclip0.png.

What are the parking rules?

Vehicles can be parked on determined and marked places in parking lots. Some parking lots can be used only if you have a special parking ticket, which can be bought in newspaper or tobacco shop. In some cases, you can drive into a paid parking lot (for example, underground or parking at tourist spots).

Parking may be allowed also on sidewalks, which is always appropriately marked by road signs. If parking is allowed, it is necessary to make sure that once your car is parked there is still at least 1.5 meters of free space for passing of pedestrians.

If you park your car improperly, you will probably get wheel blockers and a fine. The fine for wrong parking is approx. EUR 65. If your car has been towed, the fine will be bigger (approx. EUR 225).

What are the most common fines? How and where can Ukrainians pay them?

The most common fines are failure to observe the traffic situation, failing to give the right of way to a pedestrian on pedestrian crossing, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, unauthorized speed, improper crossing of a junction, improper turning and reversing, failure to keep the distance between vehicles, etc.

Breaches of road traffic rules are mainly penalised as offences impeding road safety and traffic flow. Fines are imposed either by a police officer during a roadside check or by an administrative authority (the police) in the administrative proceedings.

The fine can be usually paid on the spot to the police officer.

What documents are required for registration of trailers/cargo (equipment, furniture, etc.)?

There are no additional documents needed for registration of trailers other than the basic documents needed for a normal vehicle registration.

Do Ukrainians need to declare what they bought in Europe?

There are no restrictions on what you can buy and take with you when travelling within the EU provided that the bought products are for you own use and not for resale. Taxes on are already included in the retail price of the product. To determine if the products purchased are intended for your own use, customs authorities may verify the products, e.g. the packages or the quantity. In order to prove that goods are for your own use, authorities may ask to see the receipt or other proof of purchase. If you cannot provide sufficient evidence, you might have to pay duties or the products can be confiscated.

If you carry 10,000 euros or more in cash, alcohol drinks, tobacco products, fuel or other goods including perfume, certain restrictions may apply regarding the quantity and value of the products. For more information please check this site mceclip0.png.