The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

Are there any differences in traffic rules in this country compared to Ukrainian ones?


Is it possible to drive a car with a Ukrainian driver's license?

Yes, the recognition of Ukrainian driving licences is ensured for temporarily displaced persons during the period of temporary protection. This means that after 185 days of registration in Belgium, by opposition to common law provisions, Ukrainian refugees do not have to exchange their non-European driving licence and they can drive with their Ukrainian driving licence.

Is it necessary to register the car in the new country of residence?

No. Persons benefiting from temporary protection do not have to register in Belgium their vehicles registered in their country of origin. The exception is therefore limited to vehicles previously registered in Ukraine and not to vehicles purchased in Belgium or elsewhere. It is also limited in time, namely for the duration of the temporary protection.

Is it possible to drive a car that has Ukrainian registration, but is registered not to the driver, but to another person? What documents are needed for this?


Is it necessary to insure the car in the host country? Is Ukrainian insurance enough?

The vehicles must be covered by valid insurance for use on the road in Belgium.

What is a vignette? Do Ukrainian drivers need to buy it? How and where can they buy it?

There is no vignette required in Belgium. Please note however that some Belgian cities have put in place ยซLow Emission Zoneยป (LEZ). Such zones designate areas where most polluting vehicles are prohibited from entering/driving. This measure is being taken in a number of Belgian cities (Brussel, Antwerp, Ghent) to improve air quality and therefore public health.

Please note that in Brussels, registration is mandatory for all vehicles registered abroad (registration is free and valid for 5 years). Note however that in case the vehicle does not meet the access criteria of the Low Emission Zone (LEZ), it is mandatory to buy a day pass (EUR 35,00) to have access to the Brussels-Capital Region.

You can find more information on the following website mceclip0.png.

What are the parking rules?

The parking rules may vary from one municipality to another, but also from one district to another within the same municipality. It is therefore necessary to check the signs or the information on the parking meter (parking machines). When the parking meter is out of order, it is required to use a parking disc.

What is the parking disk?

A parking disk is a device used in some countries in free parking lots to record the time a car has been parked. It is especially common in the countries of Western Europe, in particular Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Italy, and others.

The parking disc is used in specially created "blue" zones. These zones in city centers allow you to park a vehicle for free for two hours (unless otherwise specified by road signs) using a parking disc. In some cities, the use of a parking disc is mandatory, for example, in Copenhagen.

What are the most common fines? How and where can Ukrainians pay them?

The most common fines in Belgium (in 2021) are speeding, parking finesm, and infraction to the drivingโ€™s code.

The rules for payment (and dispute) of fines are described on the offence report (procรจs-verbal) sent to the address under which the car is registered. For some fines, immediate payment may be required. For most serious offences, there is usually no immediate payment, but a procรจs-verbal followed by a proposal for a criminal settlement (i.e. payment of a fines) or a summons to appear before the judge at a later stage.

It is now also possible to pay a traffic fine online on the FPS Justice website mceclip0.png.

What documents are required for registration of trailers/cargo (equipment, furniture, etc.)?

The application to obtain a national transport licence (LTN) or a EU transport licence (LTC) must be accompanied by

1st case: the transport company is a natural person:

An extract from the criminal record drawn up in the name of the head of the company and the transport manager, if any. The competent authority may request additional documents.

2nd case: the transport undertaking is a company:

An extract from the criminal record drawn up in the name of the body(ies) representing the company and the transport manager, if any. The competent authority may request additional documents.

The request must be submitted to: Direction gรฉnรฉrale Transport routier et Sรฉcuritรฉ routiรจre โ€“ Service Accรจs ร  la profession et au marchรฉ โ€“ City Atrium โ€“ rue du Progrรจs 56 โ€“ 1210 Bruxelles (Mobilit | ( mceclip0.png)).

Do Ukrainians need to declare what they bought in Europe?