The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

To enrol children into a nursery, contact your nursery of choice directly.

To find a nursery in your area, you can input your area postcode into this website mceclip0.png which will direct you to your local Council. The relevant Council website mceclip0.png can be consulted to assist you with finding local nurseries, day care providers, pre-schools, childminders and out of school clubs.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

The guide of the Bell Foundation provides explanation of how the education system works in England in English mceclip0.png and Ukrainian.

You may enrol your child into school using the following links below or by using your council's application form:

For more information regarding enrolment, visit this website mceclip0.png.

If your child has special educational needs, their Education, Health and Care ("EHC") plan will name a school for them. The school must give your child a place.

You can ask your local authority to carry out an assessment to obtain a EHC plan. You may be asked for:

  • any reports from your child's school, nursey or childminder;
  • doctors' assessments of your child; and
  • a letter from you about your child's needs.

The local authority will tell you within 16 weeks whether an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.

For further information regarding the EHC plan visit this website mceclip0.png.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

Healthcare in the UK is provided by the NHS (National Healthcare Service). In the UK you do not have to pay to see a doctor or pay for prescriptions. All children living in the UK are entitled to free healthcare from the NHS. You must register your child with a General Practitioner (GP) for everyday health issues. Make an appointment to speak to your GP for any health issues of the child.

Find out how to:

In Wales, find mceclip0.png a GP surgery near you and ask them how to register.

Phone 111 if you need medical advice but cannot wait until you next see your GP. You can speak to someone to discuss your symptoms and get general health advice and information. You can ask for an interpreter in Ukrainian or Russian. You can also get health information and advice at mceclip0.png

In a medical emergency, such as serious accident or sudden serious illness, phone 999 or 112 and ask for an ambulance to take your child to the to hospital.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Due to a difference in the Ukraine and UK educations systems, Ukrainian students with the Certificate of complete general secondary education (11 grades) are required to complete a Foundation course before joining an undergraduate course at the British university. Students who have completed one year at a recognised university in Ukraine will be able to enter the undergraduate program such as a bachelor's degree. Some universities offer the posibility to transfer to the similar course youโ€™ve been studying inโ€ฏUkraine (e.g. Transferring to St Maryโ€™s from a Ukrainian university mceclip0.png). The documents needed may include copies of your passport, school qualifications, and transcripts. Please contact your university of interest for more information regarding the transfer.

From 1 August 2022, if you have been granted leave under one of the Ukraine Schemes you will be treated the same as a UK resident for higher education funding (e.g. tuition fees). You will also qualify for advanced learner loans for further education courses. Find further information on how to access student funding mceclip0.png.

Universities are putting in place schemes to welcome Ukrainians and people fleeing Ukraine such as the examples below and many more.

Chevening is a one-year master's program in the UK. Includes full tuition fees and gives you the opportunity to explore UK culture. Acceptance of applications for the academic year 2024/25 begins in August of this year. More details mceclip0.png.

Scholarship program for Ukrainian students

The Chevening international scholarship program, or Chevening, funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Commonwealth Affairs and Development of Great Britain, has already finished accepting applications for the academic year 2023/2024, but in August will open the acceptance of applications for scholarships for the year 2024โˆ’2025. The study continues one year at the end of which students complete their Master's degree All Chevening applicants must provide evidence of education, references and one offer of admission to a UK university for the duration of the scholarship.

Source mceclip0.png.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

If you are aged 19 or over and have entered the UK under one of the Ukraine Schemes, you will be able to access adult education, including English for Speakers of Other Languages. This includes provision funded through the Adult Education Budget (including ESOL) and Level 3 - Free Courses for Job Offer.

Charities also provide a range of English provision, including:

  • Specialised Training and Employment Programme operates in eight areas of the UK.
  • Free ESOL courses online mceclip0.png.
  • The Open University has provided free online resources for Ukrainians mceclip0.png settling in the UK and Ireland
  • Duolingo: guests can learn English using this online course or download the app from the app store or google play. Free access to the premium version is provided for Ukrainians.

In order to enter the university programmes you would be required to take the language test, such as IELTS Academic or TOEFL test. The language requirements vary for each particular program, which means you should directly check the website of the relevant higher education provider you are interested in. For instance, you would generally need the following IELTS scores for different course levels:

Foundation courses - a minimum of IELTS band 5.5, with no component below 5.5; Undergraduate courses - for most Bachelor's degrees a minimum of IELTS band 6.0, with no component below 5.5

Postgraduate courses - for most of Master's degrees a minimum of IELTS band 6.5โ€“7.0, with no component below 6.0.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

The registrations for IELTS tests in Ukraine are temporarily suspended. You can find the IELTS test centre in different countries around the world, including 65 test locations the UK, using the IELTS online booking service mceclip0.png.

TOEFL test locations are currently available in Ukraine mceclip0.png, as well as the UK mceclip0.png.

Both IELTS Online and TOEFL Home Edition are available, while you have to check the admissibility of such test with your institution.