The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Where can I go to get emergency health care and how much it costs? Do I need certain documents?

If you or a family member has a serious accident or a sudden serious illness you should go to your nearest hospital with an Accident and Emergency department. Emergency treatment at Accident and Emergency services at NHS hospitals is free for everyone.

If it is an extreme emergency, call 999 or 112 and ask for an ambulance to transport you to a hospital. This service is free of charge but should only be used in an emergency. If you are able to do so, you may also make your own way to the Accident and Emergency department.

If you need treatment or advice that is not an emergency, but cannot wait until you next see your GP, you can obtain advice by calling 111. This is a service operated by the NHS. NHS 111 will be able to refer you to a doctor or to a local Urgent Treatment Centre or provide you other guidance, depending on your circumstances and needs.

In many parts of the country, NHS also provides Walk-In or Urgent Treatment Centres where you can receive treatment for minor injuries such as cuts, sprains and small fractures, or receive urgent medical advice, without having made an appointment. These centres are usually open during daytime hours. Find your nearest Urgent Treatment Centre .

The Ministry of Health of Ukraine has collected comprehensive information on how and where Ukrainians living abroad can receive free medical care: from consultations and examinations to inpatient treatment. See more here .

Can I talk to a doctor in Ukrainian/Russian?

If you need to speak to someone in Ukrainian or Russian, dial 111. They can arrange for you to speak to a translator who can help you. They support is available 24/7 and they will either give you self-care advice, direct you to somewhere for treatment or book an appointment with a clinician.

Where can I go to fill my subscriptions or treat long-term conditions and how much it costs?

You will be able to access healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS) by registering at a General Practitioner (GP) surgery and then booking an appointment with a GP (i.e. a doctor) or nurse. GP surgeries will usually be your first contact if you have a health issue. GPs will be able to provide medical advice, prescribe medication or refer you to a specialist at a hospital for further treatment.

Most GP practices are not co-located with a pharmacy. If your GP wants you to take a particular medication, he or she will provide you with a prescription that you will need to take to your local pharmacy or chemist. The GP surgery will be able to advise you about where you should go to collect your medicine. You can also find information about the location of local pharmacies online .

There is normally a small charge for prescriptions, which you will be asked to pay when you collect your medication at the pharmacy. However, prescriptions are provided free of charge if you meet certain requirements.

There is some variation in what prescriptions are provided depending on where in the UK you are living, but in general, your prescription will be free if you are:

  • age 60 or over
  • age 16 or under โ€ข age 16 to 18 and in full-time education
  • pregnant (or have had a baby in the previous 12 months)
  • an inpatient receiving care in an NHS hospital

This list is not exhaustive; free prescriptions may also be available if you have certain specified medical conditions or a continuing physical disability. If you think this may apply to you, you should ask your GP who will be able to provide you with advice.

I am pregnant, where can I get gynecology care?

You will be offered free care when you are pregnant and after you give birth. This is likely to be arranged through your GP. Maternity services cover care from the beginning of pregnancy through to sign off by a midwife: this is usually around 10 days after the birth but can be up to 6 weeks postnatally. Midwives ensure that personalised care is provided throughout pregnancy, childbirth and the postnatal period. Much of this care will be provided directly by midwives, who will also coordinate the provision of obstetric or other medical involvement if necessary.

You should contact a GP or midwife as soon as you find out youโ€™re pregnant. Itโ€™s important to see a midwife or GP as early as possible to get the pregnancy (antenatal) care and information you need to have a healthy pregnancy.

You are also entitled to support from a health visitor. A health visitor is a qualified nurse or midwife who has had extra training. Theyโ€™re there to help you, your family and children up to the age of 5 years old to stay healthy.

See information on all you need to know about pregnancy, labour, birth and NHS maternity services .

For Scotland: NHS inform: ready steady baby .

Can I benefit from public health care?

Yes, all Ukrainians lawfully arriving in the UK will be able to access healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS) free of charge.

Do I need to register in order to obtain health coverage and if yes how?

GP surgeries

You can access most NHS healthcare services by registering at a General Practitioner (GP) surgery and then booking an appointment with a GP (i.e. a doctor) or nurse. GP surgeries will usually be your first contact if you have a health issue. GPs will be able to provide medical advice, prescribe medication or refer you to a specialist at a hospital for further treatment.

It is free to register and you should not need ID or a proof of address to register (the GP surgery may ask you whether you have this but it is not a requirement to register). It is possible to register at a GP surgery on a temporary basis if you expect to be in an area for more than 24 hours but less than 3 months.

Some GP surgeries allow registration online - check the GP surgery's website to see if this is possible . You can also call the GP surgery or visit in person and ask to be registered.

Once you have registered, you should then be able to book an appointment with a doctor or nurse at the GP surgery. Appointments are free of charge. Again, some GP surgeries allow online booking. Otherwise, you can call the GP surgery or visit in person and book an appointment.

Please note that health insurance is mandatory in all European countries.

What does public healthcare cover?

It covers free access to NHS healthcare, including hospital services, GP and nurse consultations, treatment at urgent care centres and injury units, Covid-19 vaccines and medical screenings.

Exactly which treatments are free depends on which region of the UK you are based in. The following treatments are normally not free in England:

  • Prescription medicines (these currently cost ยฃ9.35 per item).
  • Dental care.
  • Routine eye care by opticians.

However, it may be possible to get financial support to help pay for these costs. For further information on how to apply for financial support, click here .

For routine dental care, you will need to register with a dental surgery. If you require emergency dental care (for example, due to a tooth infection), either call your registered dentist or call 111 to find an out-of-hours dentist. Again, it may be possible to obtain financial support for dental costs: click here for further guidance.

You can get a COVID-19 vaccination in the UK free of charge.

Contraception (including emergency contraception such as the morning after pill), pregnancy tests, sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and sexual health advice can be obtained for free from the following places:

  • Sexual health clinics
  • Pharmacies
  • Your GP
Where can I go to get mental health support and how much it costs? Do I need certain documents?

Mental health services are provided as part of the NHS. All Ukrainians lawfully arriving in the UK can access NHS services free of charge.

Your local GP can refer you for mental health support, such as an appointment with a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Details on how to register and book an appointment with a GP surgery are set out in the previous section.

It is possible to self-refer to some NHS mental health services including psychological therapy without being referred by a GP. Further details on how to self-refer can be found here . However, you must still be registered with a GP to make a self-referral.

The NHS also offers a free urgent mental health helpline in some areas of the UK. Click here to check whether this is available in your area and for contact details.

In the event of a mental health emergency (for example, if someone's life is at risk or if you do not feel you can keep yourself or someone else safe) you should call 999 for an ambulance or visit your local A&E .

The National Psychological Association of Ukraine, with the support of the UN, the EU launched a free support line. Anyone affected by the hostilities can call the line. All the psychologists have undergone special training, provide counseling according to international standards and adhere to ethical standards.

Call +44 808 164 2432, which is available daily from 10:00 to 20:00. All calls are free of charge.

The hotline administrator will accept your request, determine a convenient format and time, and direct you to a free psychologist. You will be offered audio or video sessions lasting up to 50 minutes.

Psychological help of the all-Ukrainian program "How are you?" available by phone +44 808 164 2432.