The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

Are there any differences in traffic rules in this country compared to Ukrainian ones?

The traffic rules are similar, the only difference being the speed limit.

Please be advised that the speed limit (for categories A and B) while driving in cities, villages and other settlements is generally 50km/h, unless otherwise indicated.

On National, European and Express Roads (practically, outside settlements) the speed limit is 100 km/h and on Highways the speed limit is 130km/h.

Of course, speed limits are reduced for other vehicles categories than A and B (for example - cargo trucks).

Is it possible to drive a car with a Ukrainian driver's license?

It is possible to drive with Ukrainian licenses as they are recognized in Romania.

Is it necessary to register the car in the new country of residence?

Anyย new and unregisteredย vehicle brought into Romania has to be registered according to the Romanian procedure. This applies for all the vehicles, including trailers.

Is it possible to drive a car that has Ukrainian registration, but is registered not to the driver, but to another person? What documents are needed for this?

It is possible to drive another personโ€™s car without a written consent / document. The police, under normal circumstances (unless, for example there are criminal offences), will never demand that the driver show a written consent / document for driving another personโ€™s car.

The only situation where such document could be required will be at the border crossing, in order to prove that the owner of the car permitted another person to leave the country with it. However, as a general practice, the border police will not demand such document.

Is it necessary to insure the car in the host country? Is Ukrainian insurance enough?

The Ukrainian Insurance can be sufficient as Ukraine is part of the Carte Verte System. If the insurance is available in Romania it depends on the exact insurance policy that the owner of the car has. On the green side (carte verte) of your insurance document you will find which countries your insurance applies to and if it includes Romania.

However, please be advised that it is not generally possible to obtain a Romanian insurance for a car that is registered Ukraine or in a third-party state. Therefore, it is recommended to renew the insurance policy before leaving Ukraine.

What is a vignette? Do Ukrainian drivers need to buy it? How and where can they buy it?

Romanian Vignettes (Rovinietฤƒ) is a tax for using the roads of Romania. Once entering Romania, it is mandatory to have or to buy one. It can be purchased at any gas station and even purchased online mceclip0.png.

The prices are affordable and it can be bought for short or longer periods of time. You will need to provide your car category and number. After purchasing, you should keep the receipt.

There is no need to show it on the screen of the car. Your car number will be automatically registered within the system.

Driving without a vignette can result in a fee of around 100โ‚ฌ.

Etolls mceclip0.png is an application for purchasing electronic vignettes to pay for travel in 7 European countries, including Romania, developed by Ukrainians. The application is simple and intuitive. More detailed information is available on the website mceclip0.png.

What are the parking rules?

Parking in Romania is generally allowed wherever as long as there is no sign that expressly interdicts it. For obvious reasons, you may not park on crosswalks and near crosswalks, you may not leave your car on the lane of the road.

In large cities there might be the need to pay per hour for parking in specific places. However, this is for main boulevards and zones. Parking on parallel and adjacent roads and residential zones is a solution.

Please be advised that parking in unauthorized places and / or not paying the required tax may result in fees and / or lifting the car.

What are the most common fines? How and where can Ukrainians pay them?

Common fees are for speeding. Therefore, please be advised to respect the speeding limit. Another common fee is for not respecting the crossover of pedestrian, which may also result in suspending the driving license. Moreover, please be aware to have an available vignette while driving on national, European, express roads and highways.

What documents are required for registration of trailers/cargo (equipment, furniture, etc.)?

The value of the goods that are carried in the trailer past the border has to be declared at the border, and, according to that value, a tax has to be paid. For some types of goods, such as personal objects, including laptops, cameras, or sport equipment, a tax exemption can be applicable. Simply verbally declaring what assets you are carrying is sufficient. ย 

If you want to use the vehicle (the trailer) on Romanian roads, the trailer has to be registered. For trailer registration you will have to make an appointment at the Romanian Auto Registry. There, you will present yourself with the following documents:

  • Approval certificate, or trailer book (similar to your car book).
  • Declaration of conformity.
  • Insurance certificate or proof of payment of the RCA.
  • Certificate of 100 km/h, if applicable.
  • The registration card signed by the old owner, if we are talking about a used trailer.
  • Customs documents, if we are talking about a trailer bought from abroad.
  • Proof of payment of registration tax.
  • The value of the registration certificate.
  • The value of license plates.
Do Ukrainians need to declare what they bought in Europe?

As a rule,ย youย have the obligation to declare and present to the customs authority the goods placed on you or in your personal luggage, no matter where they were bought. The declaration can be just a verbalย declaration or even just passing through the green lane or "nothing to declare" lane at the customs offices.

However, there are some types of assets that have to be declared in a written document:

a) weapons and ammunition, explosive, radioactive, nuclear materials, as well as strategic products provided for in special laws;

(b) drugs or psychotropic substances and their precursors, biological materials with a potential for mass contamination, medicinal products containing narcotic or psychotropic substances, essential chemicals, as well as toxic products and substances;

c) cash payment instruments on you that are equal to or exceed the equivalent of EUR 10,000 per person.

Goods contained in the personal luggage of travelers coming from a non-EU country shall be admitted free of import duties subject to the following conditions:

  • the importation is of an occasional nature;
  • the goods are exclusively for the personal use of travelers or their families or intended for gifts.

The nature and quantity of these goods must not indicate that they are being imported for the purpose of marketing.

However, there is a list of assets that can be subject to such exemption:

  • personal objects โ€“ clothes, hygiene products, cameras, laptop
  • sport equipment
  • other things that value less than 430 euro/passenger for aerial/maritime transportation, or 300 euro for other means or transportation
  • for alcohol or cigarettes, there are quantity limits, depending on the type of products. The list can be found on the website of DGV mceclip0.png.ย 

For the goods that are not subject to tax exemption, the passengers have to declare their value, and, consequently, pay the custom tax according to that value.