The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

Are there any differences in traffic rules in this country compared to Ukrainian ones?

Driving in Spain - Rules and Safety Measures:

  • Talking on a cell phone is prohibited, but you can use hands-free.
  • Bloodstream alcohol levels must not exceed 0.25 mg/l.
  • Seatbelts must be worn by the driver and all passengers, in front and back seats. If not, youยดll be fined. Children under 12 years old cannot be seated in the front seat.
  • In case of an accident or if your car breaks down on the road, a reflective jacket must be worn when getting out of the car.
  • When the car is stopped on the road or shoulder, you must place a warning triangle a few meters behind the vehicle.
  • Programming a GPS while driving is considered an offense.
  • Do not park in the space reserved for handicapped or disabled drivers, or where the curb is painted yellow or red.
  • Make sure your license plate is readable. If you manipulate it, you can get a fine of up to 6,000โ‚ฌ.
  • Whenever you approach a roundabout (glorietas orrotondas, in Spanish), the car already circulating in the roundabout has the right of way. Make sure you give drivers in the right-hand lane the right of way.
  • Pedestrian crossings are marked with black and white striped lines. If thereยดs no traffic light at the crossing, pedestrians have the right of way.
  • Use the left lane on highways to overtake another car. Otherwise, use the right or middle lane.
  • No radar detectors or headphones can be used when driving.
  • Feel free to use your horn when needed.
  • Peaje means toll road. You can pay with cash or credit card.

Speed Limits in Spain:

  • Up to 50km/h in town, residential and built-up areas.
  • Up to 90km/h out of town.
  • Up to 100km/h on dual roads, carriageways, and roads with overtaking lanes.
  • Up to 120km/h on motorways.

More information here mceclip0.png.

Is it possible to drive a car with a Ukrainian driver's license?

At the end of July, the Regulation on the use of Ukrainian national driverโ€™s licenses in EU countries entered into force. The changes affect only persons who enjoy temporary or adequate protection in EU countries.

This document establishes special rules regarding expired, lost or stolen Ukrainian driverโ€™s licenses.

So, from the end of July in Spain you can:

  • to use a Ukrainian driverโ€™s license without the need to exchange it during 6 months;
  • to use an old-style Ukrainian driverโ€™s license, which is issued only in Cyrillic and does not have an expiration date, without the need to have an additional certified translation or an international driverโ€™s license;
  • to use a Ukrainian driverโ€™s license even if it expires in 2022.

The Spanish Ministry of the Interior has extended the validity of Ukrainian driver's licenses to 12 months. After this period, the certificate will not be considered valid and must be replaced by a Spanish-style document. Otherwise, you may be fined.

Pay attention:

  • If you have a certificate of category A1, A, B, B + E - you can exchange the certificate without an exam;
  • For holders of certificates of categories C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D, D + E you need to pass an exam.

More information here mceclip0.png.

Is it necessary to register the car in the new country of residence?

If you are a resident in Spain, you will have to register your foreign-registered vehicle in Spain. Registering it is mandatory whenever the owner of the vehicle is a national resident. You have a period of one month from when you become a resident to re-register your vehicle with Spanish plates.

A citizen who would like to transfer their usual vehicle from another country must follow the 3 steps below for re-registration:

  1. Go to an ITV (vehicle roadworthiness test) station mceclip0.png with the vehicle and the documentation from the country of origin. The ITV station will physically verify both the vehicle and the documentation, and if everything is correct, it will generate the corresponding ITV technical sheet of the vehicle into the Spanish format.
  2. Pay the taxes related to registration of the vehicle and thereby obtain the corresponding receipts of payment: Road Tax with the municipality where you live and Registration Tax with the National Tax Office (AEAT) mceclip0.png, except in the case of trailers.
  3. At the Directorate-General for Traffic (DGT) mceclip0.png, request the documentation obtained in the preceding steps, together with the registration application and your identity and residence documents. After reviewing all these documents, the DGT will then register the vehicle and deliver the vehicle registration certificate.

If for any reason you do not have time to complete the procedure for registering your vehicle within the one-month deadline, you can apply to the DGT for the temporary registration of your vehicle. With this procedure you will receive green temporary registration plates with which youโ€™ll be able to drive your vehicle for 2 months (extendable) while you complete the proper registration process.

More information here mceclip0.png.

Is it possible to drive a car that has Ukrainian registration, but is registered not to the driver, but to another person? What documents are needed for this?

If you are not the owner of the car you are driving, it is useful to carry a written authorization from the actual car owner with you including substantial details, such as the license plate and the insurance number of the car in case authorities might ask for it. Further, the owner should contact the motorist insurance to cover possible damages caused by the third party.

Is it necessary to insure the car in the host country? Is Ukrainian insurance enough?

If youโ€™re thinking of driving in Spain, itโ€™s important you stay on the right side of the local laws. Car insurance is a legal requirement in Spain. Apparently, if you register a car in Spain, you will have to take out Spanish insurance.

What is a vignette? Do Ukrainian drivers need to buy it? How and where can they buy it?

In Spain, no vignettes (time-based charges) are applied for driving on the countryโ€™s roads.

However, prior payment of a fee or toll (distance-based charges) is compulsory for driving a motor vehicle on certain sections of motorways in Spain.

The main axes where motorways are located on which payment of the toll is compulsory are:

  • the AP-68 between Bilbao-Zaragoza
  • the AP-7 Mediterranean Motorway between La Junquera and Tarragona
  • the AP-9 Atlantic Motorway, in Galicia,
  • the AP-66 and the AP-71, in Leรณn
  • the AP6, AP 51 and AP 61 between the provinces of Madrid, Segovia and รvila
  • the Madrid Access Radials (R2, R3, R4, R5, R-41, M-12 and AP-36).

Payment of tolls is generally compulsory for the following motor vehicles:

  • motorcycles
  • cars
  • vans
  • buses or coaches
  • lorries or heavy vehicles

Payment is made immediately at the toll control points located at the entry and exit of the motorway sections where payment is compulsory, or on the motorway itself.

In general, toll control points have barriers that are automatically lifted when the corresponding fee is paid, allowing the vehicle to pass.

The amount of the toll to be paid depends on:

  • the type of vehicle (either a light vehicle or a heavy vehicle)
  • the distance travelled by the vehicle on the relevant section of motorway
  • on some motorways, the time of day, and the method of payment.

In general, toll fees can be paid by the following means:

  • Payment in cash: by means of coins and banknotes of legal tender, in euros.
  • Payment by card: You can generally pay with the most widely accepted credit and debit cards in the world and with work cards.
  • VIA-T electronic toll(Abre en nueva ventana) : This is a payment method implemented on most Spanish toll motorways that allows the toll to be paid without having to stop the vehicle. It works through wireless communication.

To use it, you need a device called an OBE, which, once placed inside the windscreen of the vehicle, allows wireless communication with an antenna in the payment lane; the toll is charged to the bank account designated by the user. Payment by VIA-T electronic toll is available in almost all payment lanes, with an exclusive lane for this payment method and for every possible destination at every toll station. The device is available in most banks and service companies linked to the transport sector.

More information here mceclip0.png.

What are the parking rules?

Usually, parking in big towns and cities will require payment. Places where you need to pay for parking are typically indicated with blue paint markings, blue zones and blue ticket machines too. As normal, you should purchase a ticket and display it on the dashboard.

Usually, parking is free on Sundays, from 2 pm on Saturdays and often free between 2 pm and 4 pm between Monday to Friday as this is โ€˜siestaโ€™ time. However, it is essential to check the signage as this can vary. If you receive a parking fine in a blue zone, you can often cancel the ticket by making a payment at the ticket machine. Usually, you can receive a 50% discount on your fine if you pay immediately.

If you spot other coloured parking zones, these are usually residential parking only. To park in these sections you must be a registered resident and pay the annual fee. If you park here without being a registered resident, then you are likely to receive a fine.

There are some areas where you cannot park, however, which include:

  • Where a kerb is painted yellow
  • Where you see a โ€˜no through roadโ€™ sign
  • In front of dropped kerbs
  • In front of gates and garages
  • Where there are no parking signs โ€“ โ€œestacionamiento prohibidoโ€, a large E or a diagonal line.
  • Look out for temporary restrictions sometimes in place too!

That said, many Spanish people will park in questionable areas, such as on pedestrian crossings, corners, even roundabouts. Double parking is common too. However, with this, you do risk your vehicle being towed. So, donโ€™t follow the advice of locals and instead find a suitable place that is dedicated to parking.

More information here mceclip0.png

What is the parking disk?

A parking disk is a device used in some countries in free parking lots to record the time a car has been parked. It is especially common in the countries of Western Europe, in particular Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, Italy, and others.

The parking disc is used in specially created "blue" zones. These zones in city centers allow you to park a vehicle for free for two hours (unless otherwise specified by road signs) using a parking disc. In some cities, the use of a parking disc is mandatory, for example, in Copenhagen.

What are the most common fines? How and where can Ukrainians pay them?

As in almost any country, traffic fines can be issued for any number of offences ranging from the very minor to the very serious. These include:

  • Speeding
  • Not wearing seat belts
  • Double parking
  • Illegally parking
  • Drink driving
  • Reckless driving
  • Not giving way
  • Having too many passengers
  • Driving through a red light
  • Not stopping at a stop sign
  • Driving under the influence of drugs
  • Not having a valid driving licence
  • Not using warning triangles correctly
  • Using the horn inappropriately
  • Leaving the scene of an accident

You can also be fined when filling up at the petrol station. If you are smoking, using a mobile or have left the radio or lights on, you can be fined up to 200 Euros and have 3 points added to your licence.

You will also want to make sure that your vehicle is clean as a dirty number plate can also mean a fine of 80 Euros.

Another lesser-known offence is to wash your car in the street. In Spain, it is forbidden and you will receive a fine if caught doing it.

If you are a non-resident, Spanish speeding fines usually have to be paid on the spot. The police also have the right to escort you to a hotel or holiday accommodation you are staying in or even a cash machine to collect payment.

If it is a speeding fine from one of the many speed cameras, you will receive your fine in the post.

There is also a fine of 200 Euros and a three-point penalty if caught using a mobile phone while driving and the same for not wearing a crash helmet for motorcyclists.

Adults not wearing a seatbelt and if a child is not restrained correctly, a 200 Euro and three-point penalty can be imposed.

More information here mceclip0.png.

What documents are required for registration of trailers/cargo (equipment, furniture, etc.)?

Trailers which carry less than 750 kg will need an ITV card, so you will have to go to an ITV Station where they will check your trailer and if the trailer passes the test, you will receive your ITV card. You do not need an extra "Permiso de Circulaciรณn", you will have to put the registration number plate of your car on the back of the trailer.

Trailers which carry more than 750 kg will need apart from the ITV card , a new "Permiso de Circulaciรณn" which you have to be issued from the Traffic Deparment in Alicante, taking the ITV card, your trailer will get a registration plate number. (Red Plate). You will have to put the registration plate number of your car together with the trailer registration number on the back of the trailer.

More information here mceclip0.png.

Do Ukrainians need to declare what they bought in Europe?

There are no restrictions on what you can buy and take with you when travelling within the EU provided that the bought products are for you own use and not for resale. Taxes on are already included in the retail price of the product. To determine if the products purchased are intended for your own use, customs authorities may verify the products, e.g. the packages or the quantity. In order to prove that goods are for your own use, authorities may ask to see the receipt or other proof of purchase. If you cannot provide sufficient evidence, you might have to pay duties or the products can be confiscated.

If you carry 10,000 euros or more in cash, alcohol drinks, tobacco products, fuel or other goods including perfume, certain restrictions may apply regarding the quantity and value of the products. For more information please check this site mceclip0.png.