The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What other forms of social support/welfare should I know about? (Buddy systems, etc.) Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

As a recognised refugee or a beneficiary of subsidiary protection, you have the right by law to receive the necessary social assistance under the same conditions as Greek nationals. For more information regarding which allowances you are eligible for, and support with the application visit your nearest Migrant Integration Centre (KEM). The following benefits are currently available:

The Social Solidarity Income: The Social Solidarity Income (K.E.A.) is a social welfare benefit, paid by the Greek government to people living under extreme poverty. The amount you receive depends on the size of your family and your financial situation and is only available to recognized refugees. To find out more about the eligibility criteria, the application process and the required documents visit this website mceclip0.png.

Cash assistance program: All applicants of international protection who are accommodated in formal accommodation structures for asylum seekers recognized by the Greek Authorities are eligible to be provided with cash assistance by the Ministry of Migration and Asylum. Find more information here mceclip0.png, here mceclip0.png and here mceclip0.png.

Migrant Integration Centres offer some of the following activities:

  • Lessons in Greek language, history, and culture offered to adults who are either migrants or beneficiaries of international protection.
  • Intercultural activities which facilitate the co-existence between third-country children/young people and native children/ young people.
  • Activities that facilitate third-country nationals' access to the job market.

In Migrant Integration Centres you can also find information on adult language courses offered within municipality areas. Find out where the Migrant Integration Centre is closest to you, how you can contact them and what courses and activities they offer, here mceclip0.png.

In Athens, using the metro is free for Ukrainians under temporary protection. Transportation to Athens and Thessaloniki is free of charge for 90 days.

From 30.05.2022, with your AMKA and an identification document (passport or service note or temporary protection residence permit) you can go to a metro ticket office and get your personalized card, the athena card.

Free legal assistance of UA Support mceclip0.png for refugees from different countries.

Are there any social benefits I can claim such as child support?

There are โ€˜Homework and Creative Activities Centersโ€™ in Athens, Thessaloniki, Ioannina and Kilkis, by SolidarityNow and other NGOs in collaboration with UNICEF, as well as other NGOs that offer language lessons.

Are there any social benefits for pregnant and nursing women?

There are no specific financial benefits provided by the Greek authorities.

However, Mรฉdecins du Monde mceclip0.png provides special care (by a female gynaecologist) for pregnant women and mothers who have given birth recently. The organisation also provides nursing material for new-borns. Contact the organisation by phone at + 30 210 3213485 or via e-mail at Find more information for your life as a pregnant or nursing woman in Greece here mceclip0.png.

How can I meet and socialize with other Ukrainians in a similar position?
Are there specific social supports available to me if I am elderly?

There are no special social benefits for elderly refugees from Ukraine. But you can ask the Red Cross mceclip0.png for help.

Are there specific social supports available to me if I have a disability?

As an applicant for international protection (asylum), you have the right to receive a disability allowance if:

  • you are a disabled person with a disability percentage of 67% or more and if
  • your stay in an Accommodation Centre is not possible.

In order to receive the disability allowance, you should take the following steps.

Step 1: Submit your application.

You can submit your application online here mceclip0.png (available only in Greek) or visit a Centre of Disability Accreditation (KE.P.A.) in your area (find the list of offices of KE.P.A. in Greece here mceclip0.png). Find more information and directions regarding your application, here mceclip0.png.

With your application, you must also submit:

  • A complete file from your doctor, signed and stamped, as well as with the certification of the doctorโ€™s signature;
  • Your residence permit or asylum seekerโ€™s card;
  • Your health booklet, if you are insured;
  • Your social security number (AMKA).

Step 2: Appointment with the Health Committee

After submitting your application, you will be informed (usually by phone) about your appointment to meet a Health Committee. After one or two months, you will be informed about the final decision and your disability โ€˜ratingโ€™. A rating of 67% is required for persons with disabilities, and 50% for HIV positive persons, in order to qualify for an allowance. If you do not agree with the assessment and rating, you have the right to submit an objection within 10 days of notification. Note that you will need legal advice and support from an NGO in your location to submit an objection.

Step 3: Application to municipal services

Finally, you need submit an application to the municipal services in your location, attaching the following documents:

  • The opinion or decision of KE.P.A.;
  • Your valid residence permit or asylum seekerโ€™s card;
  • Your tax clearance note (ekkatharistiko);
  • Proof of your residence;
  • Bank account details.

The amount of the disability benefit varies, depending on the type of disability and it is periodically adjusted and is paid every two months.

You may also contact the National Confederation of Disabled People using these details:

+30 210 9949837 or e-mail:

How can I help others? What volunteering organisations could I join?
How can Ukrainians apply for a Ukrainian pension abroad?

According to the Ministry of Reintegration, Ukrainians who were forced to go abroad due to the war can now send an application for the appointment or renewal of a pension by mail.

An application for the appointment (renewal) of a pension can be sent to any territorial body of the Pension Fund of Ukraine, regardless of the person's place of registration.

Infographics mceclip0.png

Source mceclip0.png