The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

To register children in a nursery, you can contact the nursery of choice. The municipality or a governmental service โ€“ such as 'Kind & Gezin' in Flandres and โ€˜Office de la Naissance et de lโ€™Enfanceโ€™ in Brussels and Wallonia โ€“ keep records of existing day-care centres and can be consulted to aid in the search for a suitable day-care centre.

Ukrainian children can go to kindergartens and schools in Belgium after registering in municipalities.

Kindergarten accepts children under the age of 3. They are paid, but the cost is calculated according to the income of each individual family.

Children go to school in Belgium at the age of 2.5-3, it is free. Schools offer integration programs designed specifically for foreign-speaking children.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

Like all children in Belgium, children seeking for asylum are subject to compulsory education. Children up to the age of 12 attend primary schools close to where they stay and, if possible, join regular classes. Children that go to secondary school usually first follow a specific education for a while where they receive intensive language lessons and then switch to regular education.

Note that even if your child requires special educational needs, you have free choice of school. Like other types of education, special needs education in Brussels is the remit of the French and Flemish Communities.

The French Communityโ€™s website explains the various types of primary and secondary special needs education types of primary and secondary special needs education mceclip0.png (FR). It also publishes a directory of institutions (FR) in the Brussels-Capital Region.

The Flemish Community website devotes a whole section to primary special needs education mceclip0.png (NL), with a directory of schools and another to secondary special needs education mceclip0.png (NL).

If you want to enrol a child during the school year, you should ask the school if they still have a free place available. The municipality and CPAS of your place of residence will provide all the information you need.

Each region has started initiatives for children's education. For example, in Brussels:

  • children from 3 to 12 years, a school located Rue de Cureghem has opened 3 classes for Ukrainian children. For more information, you can call 00322 509 15 60 from Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 12 pm. The other schools also welcome children on request so you can contact a school close to where you reside.
  • For children from 12 to 18 years, Secondary schools welcome children on request.

List of schools mceclip0.png

Dutch-language schools mceclip0.png

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

If your child are in danger or need urgent medical care, call the emergency numbers 101 or 112.

You can go to a doctor, a peduatrician or the hospital (in case of ermergency).

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Most of the Belgian universities put in place FAQ for Ukrainians students. In addition some universities offer assistance for Ukrainian residents (for example the Universitรฉ Libre de Bruxelles and the Universitรฉ Catholique de Louvain).

For specific information, we recommend visiting the website of the university you are interested in.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Depending on the region, the university teaches in French, Dutch or German. Also some educational programs in English.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can find information about the TOEFL test here mceclip0.png and the IELTS test here mceclip0.png.