The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Although nursery and kindergarten are not mandatory in Italy, most children attend it. Nurseries welcome children from 0 to 3, kindergartens welcome children from the age of three and continue until age six when compulsory education at primary school begins. Enrollment and requirements are different for each Municipality and differ if the school is private or public. We suggest you contact your local nursery or kindergarten to learn more.

In general you would need the following documents to enroll:

  • Proof of residency;
  • Valid permit of stay;
  • Childโ€™s birth certificate;
  • Proof of the childโ€™s vaccinations.

There's a toll-free number for Ukrainians in Italy for all questions: 1500 (round the clock; from 8:00 to 20:00 - in Ukrainian and Russian).

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

The right to access the Italian public education system is guaranteed to all children, regardless of their nationality, their status and the status of their parents in Italy. This means that all children aged between 6-16 years old that are in Italy must enroll and attend school regularly. Once children are in Italy and have registered with the National Educational System they can begin schooling immediately.

You can learn more on the Italian education system and how to enroll at mceclip0.png.

The school will evaluate the student's skills and place him/her in a class; if it does not have the space to place him/her in its own class, the school must write to the school office which will take action to find a place for him/her in another school.

Information regarding children with disabilities: At the time of enrollment, parents must present the relevant certification issued by the medical commissions. The request for verification of disability 'in age' developmental disabilities is presented to the National Institute of Social Security (INPS), which gives you feedback no later than 30 days from the date of presentation. The document certifies the type of disability and the right of the pupil to benefit from the support measures provided by the school system.

Further and more practical information may be available at:

  • Ministero dell'Istruzione - Tel. +39 06 5849 2950. Email:;
  • INPS mceclip0.png. Milan office: tel. +39 803 164. Rome office: tel. +39 06 59051 National toll-free number: 803164, from mobile 06164164.

Also, please check this online hub mceclip0.png for children in 7-11 grades for home studies and additional resources. It does not replace the official school curriculum.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

Foreign newborns and children have full access to the medical care they need, to a pediatrician and vaccinations, even if their parents do not have a valid permit to live regularly in Italy. All children must register with the Italian public healthcare system, or 'Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN)' in Italian. This procedure is free of charge. If you want to register your child with the SSN you should go to the local health care office, called the Azienda Sanitaria Locale (ASL). Most towns and cities in Italy have one of these offices. Once you register your children with the public health system, you will receive a card, called โ€œtessera sanitariaโ€ in Italian, which gives you access to many public services, such as but not limited to:

  • Specialist visits if you are sick;
  • Blood tests;
  • Different kinds of care you may need;
  • Assistance from a pediatrician.

If your child needs urgent healthcare you can go to public (and accredited private) hospitals through the emergency room. In case of an emergency, for immediate medical attention or to call an ambulance dial 112 from any telephone in Italy. No country code is necessary if calling from within Europe.

You can learn more on how to access the public health system in Italy at mceclip0.png.

Doctor's appointment services in Italy:

Ukrainian/Russian service - mceclip0.png.

A service for searching for 24/7 pharmacies: mceclip0.png.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Yes, you can access the university with a valid permit of stay.

You can contact the CIS (Credential Information Service) of CIMEA mceclip0.png to obtain a certificate of comparability of foreign qualifications to facilitate the academic recognition procedure.

Some universities offer scholarships and financial aid. For example:

The University of Bologna mceclip0.png has come up with the following initiatives:

  • Exemption from paying tuition fees for students enrolling in single learning activities;
  • 12 Er.Go scholarships and 10 additional scholarships, each worth 2,500 EUR, for the Er.Go winners;
  • Free Italian language courses.

Additionally check here for scholarships.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Most university courses are taught in Italian. Occasionally, you may find a course taught in English.

Free Italian language courses for students from Ukraine mceclip0.png.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

Here you can find dates and locations for TOEFL mceclip0.png exam and fore IELTS mceclip0.png exam in Italy.