The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

To enter Italy, you must first cross the border through an EU country, for example Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania. Check the interactive map of waiting time at the countries that border with Ukraine here mceclip0.png.

You can enter Italy by plane, train, bus, car or ferry.

If possible, please take valid travel documents with you when leaving. However, the lack of travel documents or medical documents (certificate of vaccination, COVID-19 test) should not be an obstacle to entering the EU.

All EU countries bordering Ukraine are allowing entry to all people fleeing the war in Ukraine on humanitarian grounds regardless of whether or not you have a biometric passport. This applies also to children.
More information in the original source here mceclip0.png.

You can contact the Italian embassy in Ukraine for more details regarding travel at mceclip0.png

Chatbot to help Ukrainians around the world from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine

The chatbot can simultaneously serve several users and provide advice on the most common questions, namely:

  • rules of entry to a foreign country;
  • registration of temporary protection;
  • social security;
  • return to Ukraine;
  • consular services.

You can get help through the chatbot at the link mceclip0.png.

In addition to the chatbot, citizens can also contact the call center at +38 (044) 224-57-20.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Italy with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (DPSU), the citizens of Ukraine who can leave Ukraine with an internal passport are currently only those evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of December 22, 2022 No. 309 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

In addition, the Embassy of Ukraine in Italy has clarified mceclip0.png that the validity of passports is extended to 5 years.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

Upon entering the country, interested parties will be identified either at the Ukrainian Consulate or Ukrainian Embassy in Italy if they do not have documents, or at the local police headquarters by presenting their passport.

If you are a Ukrainian national or from another visa free country and you havenโ€™t got your passport stamped at the borders when entering Italy or another country of the European Union (EU), you must inform Italian authorities of your presence in the country. To do this, you have to go to the Immigration Office of the police (โ€˜Questuraโ€™ in Italian) or police station (โ€˜Commissariatoโ€™ in Italian) within 8 days from your arrival. There, you will have to show your documents and fill out a form called โ€˜dichiarazione di presenzaโ€™.

The Italian government grants temporary protection to Ukrainian citizens and others for 1 year with a possibility to extend for one further year.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

Ukrainian citizens can travel for free within 5 days of their arrival in Italy to reach the first destination or reception place.

People fleeing from Ukraine can use Flixbus transportation mceclip0.png, Marino Bus transportation and Trenord mceclip0.png trains free of charge. They can also travel free of charge with Trenitalia group transport mceclip0.png within a maximum of 5 days from entering Italy.

Refugees arriving in Italy with their Ukrainian-registered cars without insurance cover are issued with free temporary motor insurance policies valid for 30 days.

More information at mceclip0.png

Ukrainians in Italy can get a voucher for 60 euros for public transport

The program is available to both Italians and Ukrainian immigrants whose annual income did not exceed 20,000 euros last year.

You can apply for a voucher on the website of the transport program by following the link mceclip0.png.

When submitting an application, you will need to specify:

  • SPID or CIE digital identification;
  • tax code.

The electronic voucher can be spent on travel tickets for:

  • local transport (bus, tram, metro);
  • intercity buses;
  • regional and national railway transport (second class).

Bonus of 60 euros for the purchase of a travel ticket for transport in Italy for Ukrainians, online application mceclip0.png. You can get a code with which 60 euros will be compensated at the checkout.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Ukrainians or citizens of other visa-free countries can continue to travel to other EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. If you don't have a biometric passport, it is recommended to contact the respective embassy of your travel destination to see whether a border is open also for those not having a biometric passport. Rules can be different for traveling by plane, train, bus, or car.

You can travel to another country by:

How long can I stay?

Eligible people will receive a permit of stay called 'permesso di soggiorno per protezione temporanea', which will be valid from March 4, 2022 to March 4, 2023. This permit could be extended for 6 additional months twice - meaning up to 1 more year - or revoked before the expiry date if the situation in Ukraine significantly changes.

The EU migration calculator mceclip0.png helps to calculate the number of days of stay in EU countries for those who do not apply for temporary protection.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

Unaccompanied children and adolescents - meaning children without their legal guardian - have the same rights as Italian children. Unaccompanied children must be notified to any Police Headquarters (Polizia di Stato: Questura/Commissariato) to allow the intervention of social services and ensure that the child beneficiates from all the need and support they need. If the child has close relatives able to take care of them, the Tribunal will guarantee they stay with them. If the child does not have close relatives in Italy, they will be hosted in special structures for unaccompanied children. More info can be found here at mceclip0.png

Additional information available here mceclip0.png
State police number - 113

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

There are certain regulations that are still in place. From 1 May, regardless of the country of entry into Italy, the traveller will be required to present to the carrier and to whoever is in charge of checking the COVID-19 Green Certificate or other equivalent certificate which must state one of the following conditions:

  • completion of the primary vaccination series or booster dose with vaccines authorized by the European Medical Agency (primary series validity 9 months and booster dose without predefined limit);
  • recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection (valid for 180 days from positive swab test);
  • recovery after the administration of the first dose of vaccine or at the end of the primary vaccination series or following the administration of the relevant booster dose;
  • rapid antigen or molecular swab test, respectively within 48 or 72 hours before entry into Italy.

If the Traveller does not submit any of the mentioned certificates, he/she must undergo a 5-day quarantine period at the address indicated to the competent authorities and an antigen or molecular test by means of a nasal/oropharyngeal/rhino-pharyngeal swab at the end of this quarantine period.

Check the updated information here mceclip0.png.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

All the national Police Headquarters (Questure) are able to receive applications for residence permits for temporary protection. Check the list of Police stations mceclip0.png or check the addresses on Google maps if the page is not accessible (insert "Questure" or "Polizia di stato").
You are required to submit to the Police Headquarters two photos, a passport with the stamp of entry into Italy - which may be replaced by a declaration of presence - and any certificates attesting to family relationships.

If your biometric passport holds a stamp of a Schengen country (such as Poland, Slovenia, Romania etc.), within 8 days of entering Italy, you must go to the Police Headquarters of the place where you live to fill in the declaration of presence (in this case, the count of the 90 days starts from when the foreign authorities affixed the entry stamp in the Schengen area).

The Ukrainian Consulate in Milan mceclip0.png set up an email address ( and an online platform (available at this link mceclip0.png) to collect reports of all persons from Ukraine arriving in Milan. With this preliminary information, the Consulate will also be able to collect any requests for support.

Addresses of other consulates at mceclip0.png

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

The Italian government has automatically extended temporary protection for Ukrainian migrants until December 31, 2023. That is, it will not be necessary to submit an additional application.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

Police Headquarters receiving the applications for the temporary protection will proceed with the printing of the "mod. 209" (i.e. the form for the foreignersโ€™ permit of stay) whose receipt, accompanied by a photo and tax code, will have to be issued to the applicant also in order to have access to health services. This receipt gives the same rights as the plastic permit. You will have the right to get accommodation, financial support from the government, education, healthcare and work.

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

Once the application to get temporary protection has been approved, the permit is issued to the applicant, free of charge. It is valid from March 4, 2022 to March 4, 2023 - regardless of the date of the request.
The temporary protection permit allows you to have access to the following services:

  • public healthcare;
  • access to the labour market;
  • access to study;
  • access to the public reception system, housing.
May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

Beneficiaries of international protection (asylum) cannot return to their country of origin while they are considered a refuge.
If you have received temporary protection, you can return to Ukraine for a short period of time without any negative consequences. Before leaving the country that has given you temporary protection, we recommend that you notify the state social security authorities.
For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.
If you want to return to Ukraine, then most likely you will have to buy a train or bus ticket with your own money.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes, you can move freely around the country and, also around the Schengen area for 90 days within a 180-day period. If you want to change the country and apply for temporary protection in another country you can do it by informing the Questura about you plans to leave and re-apply in the new country.
More info at mceclip0.png

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Temporary protection and asylum are two different processes. If you are under temporary protection you can still apply for asylum. However, your asylum claim will be examined only after your temporary protection expires.

The differences are:

Temporary protection:

  • provides fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market;
  • lasts up to 2 years;
  • allows you to go back to Ukraine.


  • under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter;
  • it is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed;
  • you can access the job market after 60 days after submitting your application;
  • it is issued for 5 years;
  • asylm-seekers also have access to to residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers;
  • traveling is more restricted (certain conditions apply).

More information about asylum at mceclip0.png
Information about the temporary protection at mceclip0.png

How and where can I apply for the residency?

Please keep in mind that residence permit/permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno in Italian) is different from residence (residenza in Italian). The latter means: In Italy, every person with a valid permit of stay has the right to register their residence with the Municipality ('Comune' in Italian). This procedure is called 'iscrizione anagrafica'. To do it, you have to go to the Anagrafe office of the Comune where you live with the following documents:

  • Permesso di soggiorno;
  • Passport or travel document โ€“ In the (absolute) absence of a passport, your permit of stay may also be considered as a valid equivalent document;
  • Codice fiscale;
  • Certificates that prove the family relationship, depending on your case - translated and legalized;
  • Declaration of residence form;
  • Dichiarazione di ospitalita' or rental contract.

Note that if you're staying in a reception center, your center's operators should help you with the procedure.

Learn more here at mceclip0.png

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

At the moment we can't provide a time frame.

What if I don't have the international passport?

If you do not have a biometric passport, you should contact the relevant Ukrainian diplomatic authorities in Italy mceclip0.png, where recognition will take place. In this regard, the Ukrainian Consulate General mceclip0.png in Milan (and other consulates) announced its willingness to issue a certificate of identification to Ukrainian citizens who may not have a passport, as well as to include undocumented children under 16 years of age in the passports of Ukrainian citizens. The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine also issued a resolution extending the validity of passports for up to five years.

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Italy?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Italy, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Italy?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Italy retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Italy, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

Youโ€™ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Italian to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.