The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

All children aged 1-5 have a guaranteed right to attend a kindergarten/nursery called a โ€œbarnehageโ€. They usually operate Monday to Friday, from 7 am to 5 pm or from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. There are several types of barnehage; owned by municipalities, privately operated, or โ€œfamily kindergartensโ€ that are operated in private homes. All barnehage are publicly subsidized but not free. Fees are strictly regulated and are set each year in the state budget. The fee is limited to NOK 3230 (EUR 315) per child per month and from the age of 2 years, children from low-income families are legally entitled to 20 hours per week of barnehage free of charge. Each municipality can set up their own schemes to reduce fees paid by parents or guardians. School-aged children (6-9 years old) can attend โ€œSFOโ€, a centre that keeps children before and after school for parents who work. All municipalities offer an SFO program. You must pay for this.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

The reception centre or the municipality will assist you with this. The asylum reception centre will offer primary school for children ages 6-16 years old and an adapted school for young people 16-18 years old. Once you have received your residence permit, your children have the right to attend school. The right to go to school applies as long as it is a high probability that you will stay in Norway for more than three months.

Talk to the municipality where you live regarding help sending your children to school. All asylum seekers and/or refugees have the same rights as Norwegian citizens to special education. The municipality will assess and support your child with their special education needs. The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training is responsible for daycares/kindergartens, known in Norway as โ€œbarnehageโ€. Their website is accessible here mceclip0.png.

Education for youth and adults 16-24 years:

Youth who have completed Norwegian primary school or equivalent education, are entitled to upper secondary education upon application. Norwegian language competence is not required for admission to upper secondary education.

Persons who have completed upper secondary education in another country, but do not have their education approved as study qualifications or vocational qualifications in Norway, have the right to receive upper secondary education.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

You can go to a doctor, a peduatrician or the hospital (in case of ermergency). If your child is 12 years or younger and gets sick while you work, you can take paid leave from work to take care of your child.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

In order to obtain general study qualifications, persons with an education from Ukraine must document completion and passing upper secondary school and at least 1 year of higher education from an approved educational institution. In addition, they must document sufficient knowledge of English and Norwegian with an approved test or exam.

Oslo Met University mceclip0.png offers Norwegian and English language courses for Ukrainian refugees.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

You can study in Universities in Norwegian and English.

Red cross mceclip0.png offers Norwegian practice in Kristiansand, Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger, Tromsรธ and Trondheim.

Oslo Met University mceclip0.png offers Norwegian and English language courses for Ukrainian refugees.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can take an IELTS test in Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger, Haugesund and Trondheim. Tests are held on various dates throughout the year and registrations take place online.

You can take TOEFL in Norway. TO find a center, use this website mceclip0.png.