The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Displaced persons from Ukraine with residence pursuant to the special act on temporary residence permits are entitled to put their children in day care. The municipality shall allocate space to children at a day-care centre in accordance with the applicable rules in the Danish Day Care Act when parents sign their child up for a space.

Options for childcare consist of:

  • day nurseries for children 0-3 years old
  • kindergartens for children 3-6 years old
  • pre-school/after school centres for children 6-10 years old.

Childcare is financed partly by the parents, partly by the municipality. Prices differ somewhat depending on the municipality and the type of childcare.

Parents may be entitled to for a financial daycare subsidy (fripladstilskud), which may reduce or entirely cover the parental contribution, provided the parents meet the conditions in the Day Care Act with regards to this.

You must contact the muncipality or the citizen service here mceclip0.png.

You will find a lot of useful information on the website of Ministry of children and education mceclip0.png.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

You must contact the municipality or the citizen service. The municipality will then grant your child a place in a school nearby your residence. Children must attend school from the ages of 6-15. If you hva e achild with special educational need, you must ontact the municipality or the citizen service here mceclip0.png.

There is the possibility of home schooling. This means, that the parents or a teacher provide education for children of the compulsory school age. Before the home schooling begins, the parents must notify the municipality in writing of their address.

The municipality supervises home education. Every year, the municipality can hold exams in Danish, arithmetic / mathematics, English, history / social studies and science subjects to ensure that the teaching corresponds with what is generally required in primary and lower secondary school. It cannot be required by the municipality that the tests be held in a language other than Danish.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

In the event of illness, physical or mental, call the medical helpline on phone number 1813. In case of emergency call emergency telephone 112.

When you are granted a residence permit in Denmark, you will receive a health insurance card from the municipality and will get a doctor. Your own doctor can find out what is wrong with you and treat you for the most common diseases.

You should always book an appointment before visiting your doctor. This also applies if you become acutely ill during your doctorโ€™s opening hours. Your doctorโ€™s telephone number is stated on your health insurance card.

More about medical care here mceclip0.png.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

University education in Denmark is free of charge for all citizens and all with temporary protection in Denmark, but no special schemes have been announced for Ukrainians. You can apply for Universities at the start of a new semester by contacting them directly.

It is also possible to be granted SU (Grants Scheme) when you are following higher education courses. The amount differs depending on if you live with your parents or if you do not (6.397 DKK a month). You need a permanent address, a CPR number, and to be enrolled in an education-course to be granted SU.

It is important to be aware of the fact that the Danish and Ukrainian education systems are different in a numerous ways, and it may therefore be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the difference between the Danish and Ukrainian education systems before applying. When applying for an education, it may be necessary to be able to document previous education. If you need an assessment of your foreign education, you can contact the Ministry of Education and Research.

Several Danish educations also have a language requirement for admission. The language requirement means that you must be able to prove that you master the language in which the education is taught. This is most often done through a test or by being able to document the language skills through previously completed education.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

You can study in Universities in Danish or English.

Several Danish educations also have a language requirement for admission. The language requirement means that you must be able to prove that you master the language in which the education is taught. This is most often done through a test or by being able to document the language skills through previously completed education.

Education at Denmark universities in Ukrainian or Russian is not provided.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can find information about the TOEFL test here mceclip0.png and the IELTS test here mceclip0.png.