The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

It is still unclear how one can enroll young children into a nursery. The Dutch goverment and municipalities still have to decide on how to arrange day- and after school care for refugee children.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

You can register your child at any school. The school will check whether your child can be admitted. Your child may first go to a "Schakelklas" (transition class) or "Kopklas" to learn Dutch.

All children in the Netherlands have the right to (and duty to) education. This means that schools are obliged to facilitate a suitable educational offer for newcomers. If your child has special needs, You can directly register your child in a special school. The school will check whether your child can be admitted.

Help with groups for children from special funds in the Netherlands:

  • Ask your municipality (gemeente).
  • The Jeugdfonds Sport & Cultuur ("Youth Fund for Sport and Culture") pays a contribution to a sports club, swimming lessons or tuition fees, such as dance, music or theater lessons, if parents or guardians do not have enough money. The application is made through an intermediary, for example someone who works as a teacher, works in GGD, COA or Refugee Work.
  • The Leergeld ("Tuition fee") fund also helps children from low-income families to have access to a well-rounded education. Often they can help buy school supplies such as a backpack, journal, cover or sports clothes or a used bike to go to school. Also, local Leergeld branches work closely with initiatives, so the fund can help with sports (and also buy, for example, football uniforms), music or dance lessons for your child, drawing or acting courses, etc.
  • The platform dealing with the development of culture and sports in the Netherlands (Cultuur- & Sportsstimulering Nederland) has launched the Connect Ukraine platform especially for Ukrainians in the Netherlands, where you can find sports and cultural events (mostly for children) in one of more than 100 municipalities that have already joined the initiative.
How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

In the Netherlands, you should always visit a GP first if you have health problems. The GP will then examine your health problems and determine whether you need to be referred to specialist care, usually to a hospital.

Don't know how to get to a GP? Ask the municipality where you live where the nearest GP is. On the website of Huisarts voor Vluchteling mceclip0.png (GP for a refugee) there are a number of general practitioners' offices where you can go for open consultations. A consultation with the family doctor is covered for refugees from Ukraine.

The JGZ (youth healthcare) is responsible for preventive care for children, including those of refugees. The JGZ provides physical, cognitive and psychosocial screenings and provides vaccinations in accordance with the National Vaccination Programme. It carries out neonatal screenings and monitors the growth, health and development of refugee children up to the age of 18.

Refugees from Ukraine in the Netherlands can make use of this care free of charge. Please contact the youth healthcare department of the regional GGD or JGZ organisation.

A national overview of JGZ locations can be found on Zorgkaart Nederland mceclip0.png.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Refugees from Ukraine are allowed to study in the Netherlands, but there are often conditions for doing so. An educational institute may have specific requirements that you have to meet before you can start your studies. It is possible that your Ukrainian diploma is not enough to get you admitted immediately. Have you found a course of study that interests you? Please contact the educational institute for more information about additional requirements and your admissibility.

Dutch universities and colleges of higher education have reduced the tuition fees for the current academic year for refugee students from Ukraine. The amount that students now have to pay is โ‚ฌ2,209, the legal minimum. The government has not yet made a decision for the coming academic year. On the website Universities of the Netherlands mceclip0.png you will find more information and links to the websites of all universities in the Netherlands. There you can see what extra help and opportunities they can offer you. On the website of the Association of Universities of Applied Sciences mceclip0.png, you can find more information about how this is arranged at the universities of applied sciences.

Nuffic has opened the information desk Study in Holland for refugee students from Ukraine. Students can go there with questions about finances, registration and other subjects.

Holland Scholarship is a scholarship intended for students who want to obtain a bachelor's or master's degree in the Netherlands. Funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science of the Netherlands. The application deadline is May 1 and June 1, 2023. More details mceclip0.png.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

Can Ukrainian students receive a scholarship?

Yes. Scholarship for Ukrainian students, funded by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science of the Netherlands, as well as several Dutch universities. Students can earn a bachelor's or master's degree. In order to enter the competition, the candidate's nationality must not belong to the European Economic Area, the candidate must apply for a full-time bachelor's or master's program at one of the participating Dutch higher education institutions. More information here mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

There are three educational levels in the Netherlands:

  • Senior secondary vocational education (MBO), for those with a VBMO diploma
  • Higher professional education (HBO), for those with a HAVO diploma
  • University/Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (WO), for those with a VWO diploma.

There are a number of options at MBO and HBO level to follow a course (partially) in English. On the website of Nuffic mceclip0.png you can find an overview of MBO-studies in English. On the website of studiekeuze123 mceclip0.png you can filter for English studies on MBO 4-, HBO- and WO-level.

Education at Dutch universities in Ukrainian or Russian is not provided.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

As of today, the UAF offers the possibility for refugee students from Ukraine (both Ukrainians and non-Ukrainians) to follow an English language course in order to meet the requirements for universities or higher education institutions in the Netherlands. It concerns an intensive course of about 60 hours during two weeks, in preparation of the IELTS exam. The UAF covers the costs of the course, the study material, the exam, and (once only) the travel expenses to and from the exam. The criteria to participate are:

  • Proof of (conditional) admission to an educational institution
  • English level of B1+/B2
  • An indication of the IELTS level required for admission to the educational establishment
  • Proof that you are covered by the Temporary Protection Directive

Check the UAF website mceclip0.png on how to apply.