The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Do I need passport/vaccination certificate/chip to enter the country with a pet?

When entering by land, a veterinary passport is not required to transport the animal, but it is desirable. If there are no documents for the animal, you should contact the veterinary service at the place of residence / stay (many veterinary centers have taken the initiative to provide services free of charge).

All people arriving from Ukraine with pets, can identify the animals and indicate their vaccination, as well as request support to DGAV through the following contacts:

More information at mceclip0.png.

How can I get vaccination for my pet on the go?

You can get your pet vaccinated in any of the vet clinics. Contact the DGAV organization by writing an email to e-mail:,,

How can I get medication for my pet?

You can get medication for your pet in any of the vet clinics. Contact the DGAV organization by writing an email to e-mail:,,

How can I get food for my pet?

Here is a map mceclip0.png of all pet-related locations in Lisbon, including pet shops and vets.

How can I travel with my pet on a plane?

There are several airlines that allow flying with a pet onboard. It is up to each airplane to establish regulations and additional tariffs. Therefore we advise you to get in contact with the specific airline you plan on using.

The general rule is that pets (together with their crate) which remain below a certain weight may be carried in the cabin, whereas pets exceeding such threshold weight must be carried in the cargo area.

What's required to keep the pet in a given country?

According to the legislation on pets, it is mandatory to register them in the pet information system (Sistema de Informaรงรฃo de Animais de Companhia โ€“ SIAC). The registration fee for each pet is 2.50 euros and is compulsory for all animals born in or present on Portuguese territory for a period of 120 days or more.

In order to bring your pets in Portugal, your pet will need to have a microchip, a passport and sometimes an international health certificate prior to travel. Usually, your local vet can get those documents organised for you. You will also need to provide proof of anti-rabies vaccination (vaccination record or other).