The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Although kindergarten (Escuela infantil) is voluntary, most children in Spain attend it. They start from the age of three and continue until age six when compulsory education at primary school begins.

As with schooling (see below), each Autonomous Community is following different procedures. Usually you would need the following documents for kindergarten application:

  • Proof of residence (rental contract or property deeds);
  • Passport or residence card;
  • Childโ€™s birth certificate;
  • Proof of the childโ€™s vaccinations and a medical certificate of health (in some areas).

An application for admission to a preschool institution can be submitted to the care and referral centers for people displaced from Ukraine (CREADE) mceclip0.png.

This page mceclip0.png contains contact details for enrolling children in schools and preschools in different regions of Spain.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

Ukrainian children will be immediately enrolled in schools and benefit from school canteen services. All students will be assigned by regional authorities to an educational centre and their language skills will be evaluated. If their level is too low, they will be supported with Spanish lessons. At the same time, counsellors will evaluate them to determine if they need any additional support to integrate into schools. You must follow the procedure in your region, as they may vary in different Autonomous Communities.

  • Some regions, like Catalonia, have already developed special protocols such as procedures that guarantee schooling for Ukrainian children and young people even if they are not registered or are missing some documents. You can register your child with a school and read more about the steps to be taken here mceclip0.png.
  • In Madrid, the application can be made online mceclip0.png (please use Google translate on the webpage). However, in practice, it is advisable to make the application in person at Centro de Acogimiento de Pozuelo de Alarcรณn mceclip0.png, +34 91 399 00 09.

Also, please check this online hub for children in 7-11 grades for home studies and additional resources. It does not replace the official school curriculum.

An application for admission to a school can be submitted to the care and referral centers for people displaced from Ukraine (CREADE) mceclip0.png.

This page mceclip0.png contains contact details for enrolling children in schools and preschools in different regions of Spain.

Also in Spain, a camp was organized for Ukrainian children mceclip0.png affected by the war.

During 30 days of rehabilitation, children receive various types of therapy:

  • cognitive-behavioral
  • art
  • communication with animals
  • individual program with the Tomatis device

Both individual and group classes are practiced. The condition of each child is monitored by individual psychologists.

You can apply for participation in the program from Gen.Camp by following the link mceclip0.png.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

Most Spanish hospitals have pediatric wards where you can get treatment by a specialist for your child with a referral. This is usually free if it is a public hospital and you will have a state health insurance after registration.

In case of emergency, you can take your child to the emergency department of the nearest Spanish hospital. The hospital should provide treatment even if you are not covered by insurance.

You can find childrenโ€™s hospitals in some of the big Spanish cities. These include:

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Yes, you can study at Spanish university. The Ministry of Education has pledged to facilitate access to university and to support all Ukrainian students and teachers who have fled their country because of the war.

  • The Carlos III University of Madrid mceclip0.png has implemented a series of measures to collaborate with the Ukrainian university community. It will facilitate the admission of undergraduate students from Ukrainian universities to continue their studies. Measures will also be implemented for students in their final year of pre-university education so that they can begin their university studies at the Carlos III University of Madrid and the possibility to access adaptation courses and initiation of university studies will be granted. Likewise, financial aid will be granted for free Spanish and English studies, and for postgraduate students, study grants will be established to provide them with the necessary means. You can read more about the support program and find contact details here mceclip0.png.
  • Camilo Jose Cela University (Universidad Camilo Josรฉ Cela) as well have some special programs which can be found here mceclip0.png.

To learn more about the admission rules to a specific university, please contact them directly. Here mceclip0.png you can find a full list of universities in Spain.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Apart from clasees in Spanish, universities offer a total of over 800 programs taught fully or partially in English. Go to the search tool for bachelor's degrees in English mceclip0.png or for Master degrees in English mceclip0.png.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

Please find TOEFL test centers at mceclip0.png and IELTS test centers at mceclip0.png.