The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

To enter Spain, you must first cross the border through an EU country, i.e. Poland. Check the interactive map of waiting time at the countries that border with Ukraine here mceclip0.png.

You can enter Spain by plane, train, car or ferry.
Contacts of the Spanish embassy in Ukraine (visa and general questions) are available at mceclip0.png.

A citizen of Ukraine to arrive in Spain must have a biometric passport. In case of its absence, you must contact the nearest diplomatic institution of Ukraine in the EU and obtain a certificate confirming your identity and citizenship. You need to have an internal passport with you and, if available, a document confirming your residence on the territory of Ukraine until 02/24/2022.

Chatbot to help Ukrainians around the world from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine

The chatbot can simultaneously serve several users and provide advice on the most common questions, namely:

  • rules of entry to a foreign country;
  • registration of temporary protection;
  • social security;
  • return to Ukraine;
  • consular services.

You can get help through the chatbot at the link mceclip0.png.

In addition to the chatbot, citizens can also contact the call center at +38 (044) 224-57-20.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Spain with any of the following documents:

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

If you don't have a biometric passport or other travel document, you need to contact the consular department of Spain in one of the countries bordering Ukraine (eg Poland, Romania, Hungary, etc.), so they can help you.

Birth certificate, ID, or any document confirming your residence in Ukraine prior to February 24, 2022 would help, when reviewing your case.

For minors: a minor's birth certificate, a document confirming family ties or a relationship with a guardian or with persons accompanying and caring for the minor.

Alternatively, you can contact Ukrainian embassy in the country you are currently in, so they can issue you a travel document based on the evidence / documents that you have.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

Once you cross the border you can apply for temporary protection status. Temporary protection will last one year and if the grounds triggering the temporary protection remain, the Government can extend the stay for one additional year (i.e. three years in total).

You can contact one of the reception, care and referral centers for people displaced from Ukraine (CREADE). There you will be able to spend the night for several days, receive financial and legal assistance, as well as help in submitting documents for obtaining temporary protection. More information about CREADE and the addresses of their centers can be found here mceclip0.png.

The hotline for immigrants from Ukraine - 91 399 00 09, from Monday to Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

Renfe mceclip0.png is facilitating free train travel for Ukrainian refugees within Spain or to France. Free tickets are being managed at all ticket offices and Service Centers. You need to show a Ukrainian passport.

In particular, tickets for journeys on trains operated by public services of the Cercaniฬas, Rodalies and Media Distance networks (equivalent to short and medium distance journeys) will be free throughout 2023.

You can also find other transportation services below:

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

You can travel to another country by:

  • Plane: mceclip0.png
  • Train - Renfe mceclip0.png is facilitating free travel for Ukrainian refugees to go to any point of Spain or to go to other European countries. The free tickets are being managed at all ticket offices and Service Centers. In particular, tickets for journeys on trains operated by public services of the Cercaniฬas, Rodalies and Media Distance networks (equivalent to short and medium distance journeys) will be free throughout 2023.
  • Bus - Flixbus mceclip0.png
  • Ferry, you can book a ticket here mceclip0.png or at a local ticket center.
How long can I stay?

You can stay in Spain without a visa for 90 days in any 180 days period. If you are granted temporary protection you can stay for 1 year. The term will be automatically prolonged by an additional 1 year if the grounds triggering the temporary protection remain.

The EU migration calculator mceclip0.png helps to calculate the number of days of stay in EU countries for those who do not apply for temporary protection.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

Each Autonomous Community or city has a department which is responsible for assisting unaccompanied minors. If you identify an unaccompanied minor, you should report it to the community social services by calling telephone number 012. The social services team will find a legal guardian for the unaccompanied minor and start the relevant legal procedure.

Contacts for Madrid Social Services can be found here mceclip0.png.

Barcelona's Social Services can be found here mceclip0.png.

Guardia Civil (national police) unaccompanied minor unit telephone: +34 918 073 900 / +34 915 144 679.

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

There are no restrictions on entry into Spain due to the COVID-19 epidemic.

Vaccination and recovery certificates are preferred, but not required.

You can book your vaccination appointment in the vaccination centers with your foreign-residents identification number (NIE) and healthcare card.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

Documents can be processed at the Reception, Assistance and Coordination Centers (CREADE) mceclip0.png located in Madrid, Barcelona, โ€‹โ€‹Malaga and Alicante or at police stations mceclip0.png. Reception of citizens is carried out by appointment, contact number +34 91 399 00 09 (around the clock, in Ukrainian and Spanish).

The decision on registration of the status is made within 24 hours. Submitting a request is free.

After obtaining a residence permit, you must issue a foreigner identification card (TIE) mceclip0.png - confirmation of your residence permit for authorities, banking institutions, etc.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

The temporary protection and therefore the residence and work authorisation will last 1 year and will be automatically extended for another year after that first year, except if the office who granted temporary protection has not decided to end it. Source mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

After applying for temporary protection, you will be issued a receipt of the application filed. That receipt will include a foreigners national identity number (โ€œNรบmero de Identidad de Extranjeroโ€, commonly known as โ€œNIEโ€) which will be assigned to you.

Having applied for temporary protection allows you to stay in Spain and receive social support (including health care). Once granted, you will be entitled to stay and work in Spain for a maximum period of 1 year that can be extended up to 3 years. In addition to this the person under temporary protection will be entitled to:

  • accommodation
  • financial aid
  • schooling and Spanish language classes
  • psychosocial care
  • legal assistance
  • free SIM card with roaming
  • validation of the driverโ€™s licence
  • medical assistance
  • employment orientation, including assistance on the recognition of qualifications.
What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

You will receive a document which confirms that you have been granted temporary protection which gives the right to stay and work in Spain.
You will be notified of the decision granting temporary protection by one of the following means:

  • by email;
  • by courier;
  • in person at the police station or foreigner office;
  • by notification delivered in the reception centers (โ€œcentros de acogidaโ€), including the reception centers approved by the โ€œMinisterio de Inclusiรณn, Seguridad Social y Migracionesโ€.
May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

Beneficiaries of international protection (asylum) cannot return to their country of origin while they are considered a refuge.
If you have received temporary protection, you can return to Ukraine for a short period of time without any negative consequences. Before leaving the country that has given you temporary protection, we recommend that you notify the state social security authorities.
For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.
If you want to return to Ukraine, then most likely you will have to buy a train or bus ticket with your own money.

What should be done before coming to Ukraine?

Relinquish temporary protection status:

Regardless of the country of residence, temporary protection must be waived. Your status will be revoked by the state body or institution where you issued the documents. However, citizens of Ukraine can re-obtain this status if they decide to return abroad.

Make sure your documents are valid:

Citizens who left Ukraine with a valid foreign passport will not face any difficulties. The expired document can be extended in diplomatic institutions for another five years - this decision was made by the Cabinet of Ministers, because it is not possible to issue biometrics abroad. You can also add a child's data to an adult's passport.

Ukrainians who have only an internal passport or who left Ukraine without documents should also contact the embassy or consulate. Employees of the institution will issue a special document - an identity card for returning to Ukraine (it is not necessary to pay the consular fee during martial law).

Cancel receiving cash assistance abroad:

When returning home, refugees cannot receive state benefits. If you do not notify the relevant institution about your departure from the country, it will be considered an offence. In such a case, a Ukrainian may be fined or even banned from entering the country.

By the way, it is not necessary to declare cash payments received abroad in Ukraine.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes, you can move freely around the country and, also around the European Union for 90 days within a 180-day period. But you can benefit from the rights granted with the temporary protection only in the country that issued your residence permit. If you get to another Member State, you can contact the competent authorities there in order to benefit from these rights.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Individuals under temporary protection may apply for asylum as a refugee.

The main differences between the temporary protection and asylum are the following:

Temporary protection:

  • It is a new addition to the international protection (asylum);
  • Fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market.


  • Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter;
  • It is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed;
  • You can't access the job market straight away and won't be able to travel while your application is under review.

You can find more details in the FAQ here mceclip0.png.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

Documents can be processed at the Reception, Assistance and Coordination Centers (CREADE) mceclip0.png located in Madrid, Barcelona, โ€‹โ€‹Malaga and Alicante or at police stations mceclip0.png. Reception of citizens is carried out by appointment, contact number +34 91 399 00 09 (around the clock, in Ukrainian and Spanish).

The decision on registration of the status is made within 24 hours. Submitting a request is free.

After obtaining a residence permit, you must issue a foreigner identification card (TIE) mceclip0.png - confirmation of your residence permit for authorities, banking institutions, etc.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

You will receive the decision on the temporary protection (residency) request within 24 hours following your application.

What if I don't have the international passport?

If you do not have a passport or other travel document, you can present you driver's license, ID, birth certificate or any other identity document and a document confirming your residence in Ukraine until February 24, 2022.

How to issue a foreign passport while abroad?

The State Migration Service of Ukraine, together with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, opened a new division of DP "Dokument" in Spain.

Currently, there are 5 mobile software and technical complexes operating in Madrid - specially equipped white minibuses with the symbols of Dokument State Enterprise. Source mceclip0.png.

There you can order the following services:

  • issuance of an ID card or passport (including replacement of a lost or stolen one);
  • exchange of an ID-card or passport (due to expiration, change of information, unsuitability for use);
  • exchange of a passport issued in 1994 for an ID-card (upon request or in case of unsuitability);
  • simultaneous issuance of a passport and an ID-card;
  • exchange of a driver's license.

Currently, Ukrainians can have their documents made in the following cities:

  • Madrid: C. Adolfo Bioy Casares, 2, 28051. Website mceclip0.png.
  • Valencia: Xร tiva metro station, parking opposite the main entrance of the Estaciรณ del Nord station (working hours: Monday - Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., reception of visitors: live queue and online registration). Website mceclip0.png.
How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Spain?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Spain, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Spain?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Spain retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Spain, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

Youโ€™ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Spanish to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are many shops that offer such services. Look for printing shops("imprimir") and copy centers nearby your area on Google Maps.

Where can I translate my documents?

You can fill in this form mceclip0.png to find an interpreter or translator for Spanish or other languages.

Read more about sworn translation in Spain here mceclip0.png.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

You can buy a SIM card at one of the following mobile providers:

  • Vodafone Spain mceclip0.png provided 5,000 SIM cards to refugees in-country by NGOs and non-profit organisations, containing 60GB data for 6 months. More information here mceclip0.png.
  • LycaMobile mceclip0.png
  • World mceclip0.png
  • Digi mceclip0.png
  • Yolka mceclip0.png
  • Simyo mceclip0.png
  • Movistar mceclip0.png is offering free calls and messages between Spain and Ukraine. The subscription fee is about 10-15 euros per month.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.