The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

Applicants and beneficiaries of temporary protection are eligible for state financial support in the amount of a monthly 22.800 HUF (around 60 EUR). Families with children get a monthly financial aid per child. After one child, this amount is 13.700 HUF (around 35 EUR).

This allowance should be requested at the immigration office and the beneficiaries should register at the labour unit of the district government office and appear before that authority once in every month.

In order to receive assistance, you must appear at the Government Office by the end of each month. If you have a child under the age of 6, you do not have to bring him/her with you to the Government Office to receive the allowance. If the child is over 6 years old and under 18 years old, you can come to the Government Office instead of him/her as his/her parent.

Please note that in order to be eligible for the allowance, you must be registered as a job seeker at the Government Employment Centre. You are eligible for this financial support only as long as you are unemployed, caring for a child under the age of 3, or cannot receive a pension. If, after 45 days from the first payment, the Government Office offers you a suitable job and you do not accept it, you will not be eligible for subsistence allowance either. This does not relate to childcare allowance, which you will continue to receive regardless of your employment status.

Addresses of Government offices can be found here or find your competent labour authority at this link.

Find more information at

How do I set up a bank account?

OTP Bank and Erste Bank Hungary introduced simplified procedures for Ukrainian citizens to open a bank account. Details are available at You may require a valid passport / travel documents / Hungarian Identity Card / temporary protection document.

OTP Bank

Terms. It is free to open an account, regardless of whether it is in forints or in addition, in foreign currency (EUR, USD, CHF, CAD, GBP, SEK, BGN, JPY, CZK, NOK, PLN, TRY). If you have opened several accounts, only one service fee will be charged. All existingย commissionsย on foreign currency accounts. Purchases / withdrawals of cash in Hungary and abroad are without commission. There is mobile banking and OTPdirekt internet banking.

Erste Bank Hungary

Terms. The account will be opened in forints / euros / dollars, you can have several more currencies (Swiss, British, Canadian). There is no commission for cash withdrawals at ATMs of the network from Ukrainian cards. More about different service packages, tariffs. For George, the service is free, as you send less than 400,000 forints within a month.

More information about taxation in Hungary here .

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

OTP Bank exchanges UAH cash. You can find the list of OTP Bank branches here.

Find more information at

How do I pay taxes in a country?

Ukraine signed a double taxation treaty with Hungary, which means that the taxes will only have to be paid once, either in Ukraine or Hungary.

Hungarian personal income tax (PIT) liability may arise if the private individual receives income. If the private individual is Hungarian tax resident, his/her worldwide income is subject to PIT, while non-residents are subject to PIT on income from Hungarian sources only.

Hungarian citizens are considered Hungarian tax residents, while dual citizens are not considered as Hungarian tax residents if they do not have permanent or habitual residence in Hungary. In addition

  • European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who spend at least 183 days per calendar year in Hungary;
  • third-country (non-Hungarian and non-EEA) nationals who have permanent residence status, or are stateless persons with a permanent residence permit;
  • foreign individuals who have a permanent home in Hungary only;
  • foreign individuals whose centre of vital interests is in Hungary, if there is no permanent residence in Hungary or if Hungary is not the only country where he/she has a permanent residence;
  • foreign individuals whose habitual residence is in Hungary, if there is no permanent residence in Hungary or if Hungary is not the only country where he/she has a permanent residence, and if his/her centre of vital interests is unknown

also qualify as Hungarian tax resident for PIT purposes.

The term โ€˜centre of vital interestsโ€™ means the country to which the private individual is primarily tied by personal bonds and bonds of family and business relations. Furthermore, the term โ€˜permanent residenceโ€™ means a place that the private individual uses for permanent habitation and actually lives there. Any extended stay of the private individual abroad on a temporary basis shall not be treated as a change of permanent residence.

The PIT implications related to income received by private individuals depend on the nature (type) of the income (e.g. employment income, mandate fee, dividend, interest), therefore, the exact implications can be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Employment income received by Hungarian tax resident in general is subject to PIT in Hungary while if the employment income received by non-resident private individuals who work in Hungary are generally subject to personal income tax on their income relating to their Hungarian workdays. The applicable PIT rate is 15%. If the employment income is paid by a Hungarian employer (payor), the PIT is to be assessed, declared and paid to the Hungarian tax authority by the employer. In other cases (e.g. foreign employer) the PIT is to be self-assessed by the private individual.

Please note that double tax treaties between Hungary and the state of the private individualโ€™s tax residency (e.g. double tax treaty between Hungary and Ukraine) may override the domestic rules, accordingly, the provisions of such treaties need to considered as well.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

An individualโ€™s tax liability in Hungary depends on residence status. If an individual is a resident, worldwide income must be declared in the annual tax return.

Non-resident individuals are taxed on their income from Hungarian sources. Residence rules are determined very similarly to income tax treaty rules.

Read more at KPMG.

How to avoid double taxation?

There is an ingenious, but not perfect, solution โ€” to prove to the tax authority of the state in which the citizen does not plan to pay taxes that he is a resident of another country where he fulfills this duty.

A natural person has such a right, as Ukraine has valid conventions and treaties on the avoidance of double taxation with 73 countries of the world. Among them are almost all European countries, as well as the USA and Canada. According to these conventions, Ukrainians who pay taxes in Ukraine have the right to avoid taxation in the country of residence.

If such a situation arises in which a citizen falls under the criteria of a tax resident of Ukraine and at the same time another state defines him as its resident, he has the right to contact the tax authorities of the country of residence and make a request to the Ukrainian tax authorities to confirm that he pays taxes.

That is, in order to prevent double taxation, it is necessary to determine the resident status of an individual and, if necessary, obtain a document that will confirm it. But this may require the help of specialists - tax consultants or lawyers. Specialists advise in advance to collect evidence of the presence of a center of economic interests in Ukraine (if you plan to pay taxes only in Ukraine).

Among them may be:

  • certificate of payment of taxes in Ukraine;
  • certificate of tax resident of Ukraine (soon to be available in electronic form);
  • actual place of registration in Ukraine;
  • evidence of the presence of an individual entrepreneur registered in Ukraine (registration documents and tax declarations);
  • certificates of current accounts in Ukrainian banks;
  • certificates about the child's attendance at educational institutions in Ukraine;
  • receipts for the payment of utility bills.

If a citizen of Ukraine is recognized as a resident of Ukraine, but paid taxes in another country, the taxes paid can be credited in Ukraine. But if a person does not meet the criteria of a resident of Ukraine, it allows to change the tax resident status and consider another country as the place of tax payment.

It is important to check the registration of a natural person as a subject of entrepreneurial activity in the Unified State Register. Even if the activity has not been carried out for a long time, but the registration has not been terminated, this is a criterion for recognizing a person as a resident of Ukraine, which is accompanied by the obligation to pay taxes on income received abroad in Ukraine.

Being a citizen of Ukraine, but a tax NON-resident, you will still have to pay taxes in Ukraine for some types of income:

  • when receiving inheritance and gifts from persons who are not relatives of the 1st and 2nd degrees of kinship;
  • when receiving an investment profit;
  • when selling/leasing immovable and movable property to a natural person.


How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Hungary to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.