The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Where can I go to find emergency/short-term housing?

You can go to a refugee center/transit zone at BOK-csarnok, where you can get help from local volunteers in different matters, including a short-term accommodation. Look at the live map of volunteers providing free housing: LIVE MAP mceclip0.png

A place to rest during the day: Milestone Intรฉzet & Impact Hub Budapest, Budapest, 7.district, Wesselรฉnyi street 17.

You can find the following website helpful in finding both short term and long term accommodation:

Mobile apps to look for accommodation:

Can I access public housing or housing provided by the state? How and where do I apply for public housing?

If you found a temporary accommodation and are looking for a long-term solution, please contact the authorities. This is to be done at the same time as the application for temporary protection. Once your temporary protection status is granted, you will be eligible for shelter and food provided by the authorities for the entire duration of the protection status.

You have to apply at the chosen municipality and the documents to be submitted depend on the given municipality. Some municipalities (like Budapest and some of its districts) are offering emergency housing to refugees from Ukraine e.g. by making their municipal holiday resorts available to refugees.

Find more information at Hungarian Helsinki Committee mceclip0.png.

How do I find long term housing?

Here you can find some useful websites, which help people to get accommodation:

Or you can ask for help by writing to

EU4UA is a platform for finding housing in Europe together with other Ukrainians

A new roommate search function has been launched on the EU4UA platform.

Renting housing with other people will allow:

  • save money by sharing housing costs with other people;
  • have a greater choice of housing;
  • to find friends, expand the network of social contacts and feel supported in a new country.

Go to the platform via the link mceclip0.png.

If I am staying with friends and family in the long term, what documents do I need to fill out to make it official? How can I obtain proof of residency?

An official address registration form (โ€œlakcรญmbejelentล‘ lapโ€) needs to be filled out and signed by both landlord and the applicant and to be submitted to the local administration authority (โ€œkormรกnyhivatalโ€) mceclip0.png. This will be recorded on the temporary registration card too.