The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

You can cross the border with Hungary by car and on foot at these points: Chop/Zahony, Luzanka/Beregsurany, Kosyno, Dzvinkove, Vylok/Tisabech.

You can check the interactive map showing the waiting time at the border at mceclip0.png. A list of border crossing points between Ukraine and neighboring countries is available at mceclip0.png. If you have any questions please contact the Border Police at +36 1 443 5500.

You will find the procedures for border crossing here mceclip0.png.

Chatbot to help Ukrainians around the world from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine

The chatbot can simultaneously serve several users and provide advice on the most common questions, namely:

  • rules of entry to a foreign country;
  • registration of temporary protection;
  • social security;
  • return to Ukraine;
  • consular services.

You can get help through the chatbot at the link mceclip0.png.

In addition to the chatbot, citizens can also contact the call center at +38 (044) 224-57-20.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Hungary with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport.
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (DPSU), the citizens of Ukraine who can leave Ukraine with an internal passport are currently only those evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of December 22, 2022 No. 309 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

After the border crossing, you will most likely be welcomed by local volunteers who can help you get to the nearest train station. Also, the authorities will ask you whether you want temporary protection (valid for a year) or just a temporary residence permit (so-called ‘ideiglenes tartózkodásra jogosító igazolás’, initially valid for up to 3 months).

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

You can get to several city in Hungary by train operating by MAV mceclip0.png for free using solidarity tickets. Volunteers at the border are helping to get to the train station. Alternatively, Volanbusz mceclip0.png is offering free domestic bus rides.

It is still possible to use the "Solidarity" ticket for free travel in second-class carriages. Stations at which this document is issued are listed in a special list at the link mceclip0.png.

For persons with the status of a Ukrainian refugee or temporary protection, the following routes are free:

  • Zahon - Niredkhaza;
  • from Hydashnemeta/Nirabrany/Biharkerestes/Lekeskhaza - to the stations Budapest-Keleti/Budapest-Nyugati/Kebanya-Kishpest/Zuglo/Budapest-Kehlenfjöld/Hedjeshalom/Cob;
  • from Budapest-Keleti/Budapest-Niugati/Budapest-Deli/Kebanya-Kishpest/Budapest-Kehlenfjöld stations - to Hedyeshalom/Cob stations.

At the same time, it is impossible to use such a "Solidarity" ticket to travel between stations within Budapest.

You can get tickets for free railway travel:

  • at the stops listed above at railway ticket offices, as well as in Budapest on routes to stations on the border of Hungary;
  • directly on trains entering Hungary, subject to presentation of an identity card.

There are also benefits and discounts of various sizes for other trips for Ukrainians:

  • 100% discount for refugees and for persons with the status of temporary protection (as well as those who have just applied for the status);
  • 100% - for children under the age of 6 accompanied by adults;
  • 50% - for children from 6 to 14 years old;
  • 33% - persons under the age of 26;
  • 33% - for people with their own children (1 or 2 children);
  • 90% - discount for families with 3 or more children.

In Budapest, free use of public transport for Ukrainians was extended until June 30, 2023.

For this, one of the following documents must be presented:

  • Ukrainian foreign or domestic passport;
  • residence permit in Ukraine;
  • Ukrainian student card for foreign students studying in Ukraine;
  • any document confirming registration in Ukraine.

Free travel does not apply to funiculars, boats, express 100E to the airport, "blue" buses outside Budapest, HEVs outside Budapest. Source mceclip0.png.

Since May 1, travel tickets for intercity transport have been introduced:

  • national – valid throughout the country;
  • regional - operates within one of the 19 administrative regions of the country.


  • national subscription for 30 days – 50 euros;
  • regional subscription for 30 days – 25 euros.
  • A 90% discount applies to both season tickets for students.

The National Pass allows you to use all bus and train lines in Hungary by the companies MÁV-START, MÁV-HÉV and GYSEV, as well as the bus company Volánbusz. There is no toll ticket within cities. Source mceclip0.png.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Ukrainians or citizens of other visa-free countries can continue to travel to other EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. If you don't have a biometric passport, it is recommended to contact the respective embassy of your travel destination to see whether a border is open also for those not having a biometric passport. Rules can be different for traveling by plane, train, bus, or car.

Travel options are:

How long can I stay?

You can stay in Hungary without a visa for 90 days in any 180 days period. Temporary protection is provided until 4 March 2024. The term will be automatically prolonged by an additional 6 months up to a maximum of 1 year.

The EU migration calculator mceclip0.png helps to calculate the number of days of stay in EU countries for those who do not apply for temporary protection.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

The guardianship office of the Government of each county or Budapest assigns guardians to support unaccompanied children. Download more information here mceclip0.png.

The Hungarian Helsinki Committee mceclip0.png provides assistance in asylum and immigration procedures. They can be reached via and you can find more information on their Facebook page mceclip0.png. Moreover, you can also seek free legal counseling and representation in family reunification there. Call them at +36 1 321 4323 / +36 1 321 4327 / +36 1 321 4141.

Menedék, the Hungarian Association for Migrants mceclip0.png provides social assistance to help children adjust to being in Hungary. They can be reached via

You can find details of Family reunification in Hungary on the UNHCR website mceclip0.png.
Find more information at Hungarian Helsinki Committee mceclip0.png.

A lot of useful information for unaccompanied minors can be found here mceclip0.png.

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

Currently, there are no Covid-related requirements at the border applicable to people fleeing war in Ukraine.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

You can register for temporary protection at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing mceclip0.png in Budapest. Otherwise, in the countryside, you can do that at any immigration office mceclip0.png. You can also do that at the border area in Záhony, Fehérgyarmat, and Cigánd as well. You can submit your application at these addresses mceclip0.png. Please note that based on the actual occupancy and capacity these registration points might be changed. We recommend you to come to the registration office in the morning around 8 am. You will need any documents verifying your identity and nationality.

You can submit your application at the following client services of the asylum authority:

  • Budapest: 1117 Budapest, Budafoki út 60. “A” building; Mon-Thu: 08.00-14.00/ Fri: 08.00-11:30
  • Miskolc: 3526 Miskolc, Hatvanötösök útja 2. Mon-Tue: 7.30-16.00/ Wed: 7.30-18.00/ Fri: 7.30-14.00
  • Nyíregyháza: 4400 Nyíregyháza, Szent István út 9. Mon. / Wed: 10.00-15.00
  • Debrecen: 4033 Debrecen, Sámsoni út 145. Mon: 7.30-13.00/ Tue: 7.30-16.00/ Thurs: 12.00-17.30/ Fri: 7.30-12.00
  • Eger: 3300 Eger, Grónay Sándor u. 3. Tue/Thurs: 9.00-15.00
  • Balassagyarmat: 2660 Balassagyarmat, Kossuth u. 43. Mon: 8.00-16.00, Wed: 8.00-18.00
  • Szolnok: 5000 Szolnok, Baross u. 45-51. Tue/Thurs: 10.00-15.00
  • Kecskemét: 6600 Kecskemét, Irinyi u. 17/B. Mon: 9.00-17.00, Thurs: 9.00-16.00, Fri: 9.00-12.00
  • Békéscsaba: 5600 Békéscsaba, Kétegyházi út 10. Tue/Wed: 8.00-16.00, Thurs: 7.30-17.00, Fri: 8.00-11.00
  • Szeged: 6724 Szeged, Bakay Nándor u. 3/A Mon-Wed: 7.30-16.00, Thurs: 7.30-17.00
  • Pécs: 7623 Pécs, Csend u. 3. Mon: 8.00-18.00, Tue: 8.00-16.00, Thurs: 8.00-16.00, Fri: 7.30-12.00
  • Szekszárd: 7100 Szekszárd, Szent István tér 23. Tue: 12.00-16.30, Thurs: 9.00-15.30
  • Kaposvár: 7400 Kaposvár, Széchenyi tér 3. Mon: 9.30-16.30, Wed: 9.30-15.30, Fri: 9.30-12.00
  • Veszprém: 8200 Veszprém, Levendula u. 1. Mon: 8.00-16.30, Tue/Thurs: 8.00-15.30
  • Székesfehérvár: 8000 Székesfehérvár, József Attila u. 38. Mon: 7.30-17.00, Tue-Thurs: 7.30-16.00, Fri: 7.30-13.00
  • Tatabánya: 2800 Tatabánya, V, Győri út 13. Mon: 8.00-16.30, Tue/Thurs: 8.00-15.30
  • Győr: 9026 Győr, Szövetség u. 17. Mon/Wed: 7.30-12.00 – 12.30-16.00, Tue: 7.30-12.00, Thurs: 7.00-12.00 – 12.30-17.00
  • Szombathely: 9700 Szombathely, Kisfaludy S. u. 1. Mon: 9.00-16.00
  • Zalaegerszeg: 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Mártírok útja 42-44. Tue: 9.00-15.00, Thurs: 9.00-14.00

You may also submit your application at any Government client service (listed here mceclip0.png) if you register yourself in advance through the Menedékes application or the Enter Hungary website mceclip0.png. Please note that even if you register your data online, you still need to go to the Government client service in person to finalize your application.

Helpline for refugees, free of charge: +36 80 984 583. Working hours: 08:00 - 17:00 (Monday to Friday).

Find more information at UNHCR mceclip0.png.

Can I get temporary protection in this country if I have previously obtained temporary protection in another country?

Hungary can grant temporary protection to citizens of Ukraine who already had such protection in another EU country. To apply for temporary protection in Hungary, it is necessary to fill out a form that a person will receive at the immigration office. More information at the link mceclip0.png.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

The Hungarian government has extended the validity of residence permits based on temporary protection until March 4, 2024. This means that your residence permit card is now valid until March 4, 2024, contrary to the date that is physically shown on the card (March 4, 2023).

According to the National Directorate General of Alien Affairs (NDGAP), you do not need to take any action at this time. The validity period of the plastic card was extended according to the law.

What legal provision can I refer to if the validity of my residence permit is questioned?

The correct legal reference is section 5(3) of Government Decree 86/2022 of 7 March 2022. In Hungarian, at the link: 86/2022. (III. 7.) Korm. rendelet 5. § (3) bekezdés mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

You are entitled to receive basic health care, examinations, and treatment within the scope of general medical care. In urgent cases — to specific out-patient and inpatient care and dental care; to maternity care and obstetric care; to oncology specialty care; to examination and treatment within the scope of other chronic patient care. Also, you are entitled to reimbursement for the expenses of translating your documents. You may also request accommodation at one of the accommodation centers, in the general case, you are entitled to accommodation, three meals per day, cutlery, and hygienic products (toiletries).

Find more information here mceclip0.png.

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

You will receive a temporary protection card and can apply for a special Hungarian ID card if necessary. At your request, a residence permit (that indicates your place of residence) is also issued.

Find more information here mceclip0.png.

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

If you need to go back to Ukraine for reasons for a short time for instance for family visits, to collect papers or to rescue family members, you don’t lose your temporary protection status. Any short visit to Ukraine should not be considered by EU countries as a decision to return voluntarily before the temporary protection ends. This means that a short trip back to Ukraine shouldn’t lead to the revocation of the residence permit and loss of rights attached to the status.

For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.

If you want to return to Ukraine, then most likely you will have to buy a train or bus ticket with your own money.

What should be done before coming to Ukraine?

Relinquish temporary protection status:

Regardless of the country of residence, temporary protection must be waived. Your status will be revoked by the state body or institution where you issued the documents. However, citizens of Ukraine can re-obtain this status if they decide to return abroad.

Make sure your documents are valid:

Citizens who left Ukraine with a valid foreign passport will not face any difficulties. The expired document can be extended in diplomatic institutions for another five years - this decision was made by the Cabinet of Ministers, because it is not possible to issue biometrics abroad. You can also add a child's data to an adult's passport.

Ukrainians who have only an internal passport or who left Ukraine without documents should also contact the embassy or consulate. Employees of the institution will issue a special document - an identity card for returning to Ukraine (it is not necessary to pay the consular fee during martial law).

Cancel receiving cash assistance abroad:

When returning home, refugees cannot receive state benefits. If you do not notify the relevant institution about your departure from the country, it will be considered an offence. In such a case, a Ukrainian may be fined or even banned from entering the country.

By the way, it is not necessary to declare cash payments received abroad in Ukraine.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes. If you have a temporary protection card, you can travel for 90 days freely to other EU countries within a 180-day period.

If you want to settle down in a different country, please contact the immigration authorities/embassies of the target EU country, as some EU countries do not accept applications for temporary protection from those, who have already been granted temporary protection elsewhere.

Find more information here mceclip0.png.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Applying for a refugee status is possible under temporary protection. The main differences from the temporary protection are the following:

Temporary protection:

  • It is a new addition to the international protection (asylum).
  • Fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market.


  • Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter.
  • It is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed
  • You can access the job market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case.
  • You are prohibited for 6 months to cross the border of the host state while your application is being considered

You can also apply for "family reunification" if a family member already resides legally in the EU.

More information about asylum here mceclip0.png.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

Ukrainian citizens arriving with a passport may decide to stay in Hungary for 90 days without any specific permit or they can apply for temporary protection. Applying for temporary protection will enable residency for you. You can register for temporary protection at the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing mceclip0.png in Budapest. Otherwise, in the countryside, you can do that at any immigration office mceclip0.png. You can also apply at the border area in Záhony, Fehérgyarmat, and Cigánd.

Find more information on how to apply for temporary protection here mceclip0.png.

However, if you are planning for other types of residency (for example; permanent), please click this website mceclip0.png and check eligibility and process.

Find more information at National Directorate General for Aliens Policing mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

A decision on temporary protection status may take around 55 days.

Find more information at Hungarian Helsinki Committee mceclip0.png.

What if I don't have the international passport?

If you do not have a biometric passport, you can enter Hungary. However, you will be escorted to various registration points for recording your information. It is important to have any documents verifying your identity.

Find more information at Hungarian Helsinki Committee mceclip0.png.

How to issue a foreign passport while abroad?

In order to issue a foreign passport, you need to contact the Ukrainian Embassy mceclip0.png.

A foreign passport is issued to a person who has reached the age of 16 on the basis of an application-questionnaire submitted by him personally. At the same time, the issuance of a foreign passport to a person who has been recognized by the court as having limited legal capacity or incapacity is carried out on the basis of an application-questionnaire of the guardian or other legal representative.

The following are attached to the application:

  • previous passport to be exchanged (if the passport is not issued for the first time);
  • internal passport in the form of a booklet (if available);
  • or ID card (if available);
  • a document confirming permanent residence or temporary stay abroad (if available);
  • certificate of registration of the place of residence in Ukraine / certificate of registration of the place of residence of a temporarily displaced person (if available);
  • a certificate of assignment of the registration number of the taxpayer's registration card (RNOKPP; if available).

In case of loss or theft of the previous passport, a document (report, certificate, etc.) issued by the competent authority of the state in which the passport was lost or stolen is attached to the application, confirming the fact of the owner's application regarding its loss or theft. Such a document is submitted without legalization and translation into Ukrainian.

In the case of issuing a passport in connection with a change in personal data (surname and/or first name), a document confirming such a change (marriage certificate, divorce certificate, court decision, etc.) is attached to the application. When issuing a foreign passport with a new surname and/or first name, the "domestic" passport (ID card) must be reissued.

In the event that the applicant has not previously been issued with an identity document, confirming Ukrainian citizenship and/or granting the right to leave Ukraine and enter Ukraine, a certificate of registration of the person as a citizen of Ukraine is provided (with the exception of cases when the person's parents at the time of his were citizens of Ukraine at birth).

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Hungary?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Hungary, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Hungary?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Hungary retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Hungary, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

You’ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Hungarian to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are many shops that offer such services. Look for printer shops and copy centers nearby your area on Google Maps.

Where can I translate my documents?

In Hungary, as a rule, only one company is authorized to prepare certified translations - the Hungarian Translation and Certification Office (OFFI) mceclip0.png. Translation is not free, but you can ask about preferential rates for refugees from Ukraine.

Where can I go for help if I have additional questions?

If you need free legal assistance and advice in Hungary, please contact the Hungarian Helsinki Committee (HHC). His contact details are below:


Phone: +361 321 4323 / +361 321 4327 / +361 321 414 (Monday/Thursday 10.00-18.00, Tuesday 10.00-17.00), Facebook page mceclip0.png.

Facebook chat link:

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

You can get free SIM cards at the transit zone in BOK-csarnok in Budapest or any of the stores of the following providers Yettel mceclip0.png, Vodafone mceclip0.png, Telekom mceclip0.png.

Free wifi is available at Budapest-Keleti and Nyugati Railway Stations. Network name: MAV-Free-WiFi. Volunteers are ready to help with connecting to the network if necessary.

Find more information here mceclip0.png.

Do you have a legal question that you can’t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.