The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

Parents of children under the age of 4 may choose child care provision instead of pre-school child care institution by submitting a relevant application to the local government. According to the law, the municipality has the right to ask an attendance fee of the child care institution from the parents, but not more than 20% of the national minimum wage rate established by the Government of the Republic. Parents are also required to cover the cost of meals according to the procedure established by the local government. Attendance fees and the amounts paid to cover the cost of meals may differ depending on the childโ€™s age, the cost of managing the pre-school institution or other factors.

A place in a kindergarten can be applied for directly at the local municipality even before you have a personal identification, temporary protection, or a permanent place of residence. Applying for a kindergarten spots starts with a written application submitted to the kindergarten chosen by the parent or to the local municipality. If there are free spots at the desired kindergarten, the child will be accepted. Good to know:

- It is not compulsory to attend kindergarten in Estonia.
- The responsibility for the availability of pre-school education falls on the local government, who has the obligation to ensure all 1.5-7 year old children in their service area a possibility to attend kindergarten if their parents so wish.
- At the consent of the parent, the kindergarten spot of a 1.5 to 3 year old child can be replaced with a child care service.

Parents can choose freely the pre-school child care institution, they want to send their child, provided there are places available. They can also choose the type of pre-school child care institution โ€“ private or municipal. Pre-school child care institutions must hold an education licence, which can be verified at the website of the Estonian Education Information System (EHIS).

For the city of Talinn: All Ukrainian war refugees can report their wish to apply for a place in a kindergarten or school at the Tallinn Refugee Centre (Niine tn 2, Pรตhja-Tallinn). Your request will be forwarded to the Tallinn Education Department, which will contact you directly. The Tallinn Education Department will also conduct information sessions for Ukrainian families staying in the accommodation.

If you have any questions about the kindergarten, please contact Tallinn Education Department on +372 5300 7845 or e-mail mceclip0.png.

More information about kindergartens in Estonia here mceclip0.png.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

A place in a school can be applied for at the local municipality even before you have a personal identification, temporary protection, or a permanent place of residence. In cooperation with local municipalities, we are trying to ensure a place in school at first opportunity to all children coming from Ukraine for whom school attendance is compulsory. Good to know:

- According to the Estonian constitution, everyone has the right to an education. Basic education (grades 1-9) is compulsory. Children who have turned seven before October 1 in the current year are expected at first grade. It is compulsory to attend school until getting a basic education or until turning 17 -- the same applies to children with foreign citizenships in Estonia.
- There is no tuition fee in the general education schools of the state and local municipalities.
- The parent has the right to decide upon the issues related to the educational path of her child for whom school attendance is compulsory, like the period of staying in Estonia, instruction language, and which linguistic or cultural space they are affiliated with. Educational institutions and school holders can give recommendations to the parents and introduce their options to them.

In order to register a child, the school needs to turn to the Estonian Education Information System (EHIS) mceclip0.png (in Estonian) where it is also possible to enter the data based only on the child's date of birth. The school cannot enter the data on its own. The contact information of the user support of EHIS: mceclip0.png, phone: +372 765 5050 (Mon-Fri 900 - 1600). Once the child gets a personal identification code and temporary protection, it is the responsibility of the school to update the student's information in EHIS on their own.

More information about education in Estonia here mceclip0.png.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

You can take your kid to a specific doctor. In emergencies, go to a hospital. You can also go to a pediatrician.

Urgent medical aid is ensured to all persons staying in Estonia if they have a severe or life-threatening health issue.

The Family Doctor's Advice Line 1220 (+372 634 6630 when calling from a foreign phone number) is offering health advice in English and in Russian. If necessary, the person will be forwarded to the emergency line 112. Some doctors speak Russian, but not all. Most speak English.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Several Universities in Estonia are offering their help and support. The students that have arrived from Ukraine will be offered the opportunity to continue their education both in basic and general education, as well as vocational and higher education.

Refugees from Ukraine can have their educational qualifications assessed for access to the labour market or for further study in Estonia. There is a regulation with criteria and procedure established by the Government of the Republic of Estonia, to ensure recognition of refugees` qualifications if any educational document, or complete documentation to proof educational background cannot be presented. The Estonian ENIC/NARIC, a structural unit of the Estonian Education and Youth Board, is the competent body for assessment of qualifications held by refugees, displaced persons, and persons in a refugee-like situation. The unit can be contacted by e-mail or by phone +372 697 9215. More information can be found here mceclip0.png .

Estonian universities that help Ukrainian refugee students continue their studies:
- University of Tartu mceclip0.png (contact e-mail mceclip0.png)
- Tallinn University of Technology (contact e-mail mceclip0.png)
- Tallinn University mceclip0.png
- Estonian University of Life Sciences mceclip0.png
- Estonian Business School mceclip0.png

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

You can study in Universities in English or Estonian.

For more information on language courses, please visit the website of the Integration Foundation at Consultants from the Integration Foundation can answer any questions concerning language training by phone on 800 9999 or by e-mail at mceclip0.png .

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can find information about the TOEFL test here mceclip0.png and the IELTS test here mceclip0.png .