The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

You can enroll your child to pre-school (children ages 36-68 months). Children that are between 66 and 72 months may be enrolled in primary schools if their parents want to. Children who are not yet school-aged may be enrolled in nursery classes, nursery schools or kindergartens depending on their age.

You must apply to to the District Education Directorate in your residential location with your International Protection Applicant or Beneficiary Identity Document. The District Education Directorate make the necessary allocations for placement to the pre-school.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

To benefit from the rights and services regarding education, you have to complete the international protection application. In Turkey, education is compulsory for 12 years and has three stages: Four years of primary school, four years of lower-secondary school and four years of upper-secondary school. The language in Turkish public schools is Turkish. You and your child will have the right to enroll in education as well as Turkish language courses and vocational training.

To enroll in school for compulsory education, you need to approach the District Education Directorate in your residential location with your International Protection Applicant or Beneficiary Identity Document, and they will refer you to the nearest available public school for registration. In addition, you need an official document showing your residential address, which can be claimed from the Population and Civil Registry Department. If you or your child attended school before, you also need to submit additional documents and/or diplomas showing your previous attendance at the school.

If you do not have the necessary documents, the District Education Commission will conduct a test to determine your appropriate grade level. Please note that education is free in all public schools. As to enrollment in high school, if you would like to enroll yourself or your child in a Science High School, Social Sciences High School, Anatolian High School, Anatolian Religious Vocational School, or Vocational and Technical Anatolian High School, you/your child would need to take an exam.ย 

There is also a chance to enroll in schools providing distance education opportunities. There are five types of distance education institutions: secondary school, high school, vocational high school, Imam Hatip high school, and vocational and technical school. You/your children can get free courses for Turkish language education from public education centers by showing your International Protection Applicant or Beneficiary Identity Document in order to register.

In addition, some civil society organizations, such as World Academy for Local Government and Democracy with cooperation of the UNHCR, offer vocational courses in municipalities and free Turkish language courses as well. Public education centers, the Turkish Employment Agency (ฤฐลžKUR) and vocational course groups in municipalities provide vocational training courses free of charge. You are required to present your International Protection Applicant or Beneficiary Identity Document in order to enroll in these courses as well.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

Children may be excused from participating in school with the consent of their parents and valid excuses.

You can take your child to a regular doctor. In case of emergency, go to the hospital. You can also go to the pediatrician.

Emergency treatment is free in Turkey, but private hospitals may charge for admissions. For any emergencies, you can call 112. Many doctors speak English.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

The main prerequisite for enrollment in a university in Turkey is to be a high school graduate. If you complete high school and meet the university entrance requirements, you can get a university education in Turkey. One of the most important requirements to enter a university is to be successful in the Examination for Foreign Students (Yร–S). In principle, Turkish students take a national exam but foreign students need to take Yร–S, which is organized by each university. Therefore, applying to different universities could yield different requirements. Please note that you may be required to pay an application fee to take this exam.

There are two types of universities in Turkey: public universities and foundation universities. Foreign students have to pay for both of them.

The Council of Higher Education (Yร–K) recognizes most Ukrainian universities so it is possible for Ukrainian citizens to transfer to, and continue their education at, Turkish universities.

You can find an excel list regarding Ukrainian higher education institutions recognized by the Council of Higher education on this website mceclip0.png (via the โ€œYรผksekรถฤŸretim Kurulu Tarafฤฑndan Tanฤฑnan Ukraynaโ€™daki YรผksekรถฤŸretim Kurumlarฤฑ Listesiโ€ tab under the โ€œร–ฤŸrenciโ€ tab on the homepage).

Information regarding the diploma recognition and equivalence procedure can be found here mceclip0.png.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Turkish is the predominant language in Turkey. Moreover, it is the language in Turkish schools. But there are a number of private schools and universities which offer education in the English language. Private schools of embassies for instance also offer education in their native language.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

A list of testing centers and dates can be found on the following websites:

For TOEFL see mceclip0.png

For IELTS see mceclip0.png