The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What documents do I need to work in this country?

In order to work, you need to be granted the protection S status and apply for a work permit from the cantonal authorities at the place of work. That means you are allowed to work in a different canon than your canon of residence. This application can only be made after protection status S has been granted. The persons receive a confirmation letter and the S work permit is sent a short time later. The canton periodically checks whether the applicable wage and working conditions are complied with. Once you have been granted the permit, you may also be self-employed. Working from home exclusively for a foreign employer (e.g. for the current employer in the home country) or the continuation of an existing self-employed activity with no influence on the Swiss labour market are not considered gainful employment subject to a work permit. Therefore, no work permit is required. As soon as you receive your S residence permit you are allowed to start working in Switzerland (in a dependent or independent profession). Once you have found a job you will have to announce it to the cantonal authority of your future place of work and obtain an authorization before you can start your activity. It is possible to look for a job in a canton other than the one you have been assigned to.

If you are working remotely for a foreign employer and your activity does not impact the Swiss job market, you do not need to obtain a work authorization by your Canton.

More information here .

Where can I search for a job?

You can start looking for a job by registering with the State Employment Service (RAV). Specialists will also advise you on the specifics of the Swiss labor market and offer courses (language and qualification).

On this platform refugees can work in the IT sector.

You can also try to find a job on these sites:

Are there any services available to help me find a job?

The services of the employment centres are available to all persons entitled to work who are looking for a job and who are in Switzerland. Registration is possible as soon as protection status S has been granted; this is confirmed by letter.

Further information can be found on the Unemployment Insurance and public employment service website or on the website of the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).

You may also try to find a job on your one via this website. Once your have obtained Status S your may also register here . If you speak German, Italian or French and would like to work as an interpreter you can find useful information on this website .

On this platform refugees can work in the IT sector.

Are there any diploma and professional equivalence programs? How and where do I apply?

"Courses and programs to support migrants and to inform them about life in Switzerland are available in all cantons, large towns and in many smaller communes, and these are also open to people with protection status S. People with protection status S who are registered with asylum social assistance usually receive information there directly.

Please ask for information in your commune or consult the official website of your canton of residence.

The contact points for integration in the cantons and towns (in German) will also be able to help. You will find detailed information about cantonal integration programs here (in German).

More information about higher education can be found here.