The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Where can I go to find emergency/short-term housing?

Germany opened three terminals at the former Tegel Airport in Berlin. It was there that the main registration and redirection center for Ukrainian refugees seeking refuge was set up. The address is Saatwinkler Damm, 13405 Berlin. More information here .

The following sites will help you to find short-term/emergency housing:

More information available at Handbook Germany mceclip0.png.

Housing search site for Ukrainian immigrants with animals in Germany. TASSO.Help mceclip0.png is a platform where Ukrainian migrants with animals can find temporary housing.

Can I access public housing or housing provided by the state? How and where do I apply for public housing?

Yes. After your arrival, you will be directed to public emergency housing by the border authority.
Furthermore, there is a lot of public housing provided by the local authority districts (Kommunen: Stรคdte und Gemeinden). If they do not have the capacity, they can arrange for public housing provided by the respective federal state.
You should apply and register for public housing at the arrival centers (Ankunftszentren) or initial reception facilities (Erstaufnahmeeinrichtungen) of the federal state you are in.

More information at Germany4Ukraine mceclip0.png.

We draw your attention to the fact that the quality of life, healthcare and support services in Germany is quite high. It is also the same throughout the country, so there is no difference between living in a city or a village. We recommend that you do not avoid registering in small towns or rural areas, because there is a greater choice of housing and equal conditions for employment and education.

Refugees from Ukraine who have a residence permit and are employed in Germany but cannot afford to pay their rent can get housing benefit. You can apply for housing benefit at the responsible authority in your area, such as the social benefits office (Sozialamt).

The amount of housing benefit is determined in each individual case and depends on the following factors:

  • your income;
  • your rent;
  • the number of people living in the household and their income.

If you have a certificate showing that you are entitled to subsidised housing (Wohnberechtigungsschein, WBS), you and your family are eligible to move into a social housing flat. Social housing flats are subsidised by the government, and the rent is usually lower than for other flats. Social housing flats are also called WBS flats.

Your local housing office (Wohnungsamt) can give you more information about subsidised housing for Ukrainian refugees. They can also tell you where to find social housing flats and housing with few or no barriers for people with a disability.

More information here mceclip0.png.

Detail information about WBS mceclip0.png.

How do I find long term housing?

If you have a residence permit and wish to live in a private apartment, feel free to visit the links below:

You can use services like airbnb mceclip0.png to find a place to stay.

Please note that If you do not have your own money, the social welfare office will cover the costs of long term housing. However, the social welfare office will only pay the rental costs up to a certain amount varying city to city. Therefore, please visit your social welfare office before looking for an apartment.

Please visit this site mceclip0.png to know more about how you can rent an apartment.

A one-room apartment in the suburbs of Munich will cost โ‚ฌ1,400, in Heidelberg โ€“ โ‚ฌ1,000, in small towns and villages you can find it for โ‚ฌ600-800.

When looking for housing, pay special attention to the description. After all, in Germany it is quite popular to rent apartments without furniture, kitchen, sink, household appliances and even lamps. Furnishing a new home can become an additional large expense item.

Also, when planning a moving estimate, you should take into account preliminary expenses - security deposits, prepayment of rent and possible commission fees to a real estate agent. The amount can vary, on average from one to three monthly rents.

The cost of utilities is about โ‚ฌ200 (electricity, water, gas, garbage removal). Housekeeping (cleaning twice a month for 3 hours) โ€“ 100โ‚ฌ.

You can find a cheap housing arrangement through the service mceclip0.png.

The Wunderflats platform mceclip0.png makes it easy to find housing that matches your needs and location.

View available offers by city. After finding suitable options, send a booking request.

Once the housing provider accepts your request, you need to confirm your interest in the property to continue the process. Contact the landlord and arrange your move.

More detailed information can be found at the link mceclip0.png.

EU4UA is a platform for finding housing in Europe together with other Ukrainians

A new roommate search function has been launched on the EU4UA platform.

Renting housing with other people will allow:

  • save money by sharing housing costs with other people;
  • have a greater choice of housing;
  • to find friends, expand the network of social contacts and feel supported in a new country.

Go to the platform via the link mceclip0.png.

If I am staying with friends and family in the long term, what documents do I need to fill out to make it official? How can I obtain proof of residency?

You would need to register at a reception facility (Aufnahmeeinrichtung) or with the local foreigners office (Auslรคnderbehรถrde). You will get proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) or call-up certificate (Anlaufbescheinigung), and may be granted a residence permit. More information can be found here mceclip0.png.