The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

You can get to Germany by long-distance train from Poland, the Czech Republic or Austria. On odd numbers, a humanitarian train mceclip0.png departs from Przemyśl in Poland to Germany, with the final stop in Hanover. You do not need a ticket, registration card or any other document to board the train. It is enough just to come to the appropriate platform in Przemyśl some time before the departure of the train. The evacuation train from Poland to Germany will continue to operate until the end of May 2023 (Source mceclip0.png).

When boarding the humanitarian train, priority will be given to certain categories of citizens:

  • persons who have a bracelet from the Polish Red Cross;
  • families with children;
  • elderly people;
  • citizens with disabilities.

The rest of the passengers will have the opportunity to travel for free, if there are still seats on the train.

Departure time from Przemyśl is 22:30. In Germany, the train arrives in Hanover, estimated time is between 14:30 and 16:00.

It is better to arrive in the country at three main stations - Hanover, Cottbus and Berlin. There are volunteers here who can give you the help you need, and there are also buses from these stations to refugee locations and other cities throughout Germany.

If you lost your or your child's passport, you can apply to the Foreigners’ Office (BAMF) mceclip0.png for a passport substitute.

If someone you know is missing, you can contact the German Red Cross (DRK) where you can submit a search request for free.
There is an Arrival Center in Berlin Ukraine Ankunftszentrum Tegel (TXL) to help with accommodation, meals, and medical needs. Located at: Saatwinkler Damm, 13405 Berlin.

Moreover, at the TXL arrival center, you can get an allocation to the Federal Land you are heading to, if it has space. More detailed information about the open lands should be obtained directly from the Tegel reception point.

Important: Do not give your passport to anyone. And if possible, do not travel alone.
More information on the official website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees mceclip0.png.

As of mid-June 2023, Ukrainian refugees are accepted in the following lands and communities in Germany:

  • Baden-Württemberg (Baden-Württemberg) is a country in the south-west of Germany, the capital is the city of Stuttgart;
  • Bayern (Bayern) is a German community, part of the Ebersber district, located in the state of Bavaria (south-eastern part of the country, the capital is Munich);
  • Hessen (Hessen) is a land in the central part of the country, the capital is Wiesbaden;
  • Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz) is a land located in the southwestern part of Germany, the capital is Mainz;
  • Sachsen, or Saxony (Sachsen) is a land in the east of the country, the capital is Dresden;
  • Thuringia (Thüringen) is a land in the central part of the country, the capital is Erfurt.

More information mceclip0.png.

Chatbot to help Ukrainians around the world from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine

The chatbot can simultaneously serve several users and provide advice on the most common questions, namely:

  • rules of entry to a foreign country;
  • registration of temporary protection;
  • social security;
  • return to Ukraine;
  • consular services.

You can get help through the chatbot at the link mceclip0.png.

In addition to the chatbot, citizens can also contact the call center at +38 (044) 224-57-20.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Germany with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (DPSU), the citizens of Ukraine who can leave Ukraine with an internal passport are currently only those evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of December 22, 2022 No. 309 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required. If your last name does not match the last name of your child/children, you will need to present the notarized translation of your child/children's birth certificate into German.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

The State Migration Service of Ukraine, together with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, opened a new division of DP "Dokument" in Germany.

There you can order the following services:

  • issuance of an ID card or passport (including replacement of a lost or stolen one);
  • exchange of an ID-card or passport (due to expiration, change of information, unsuitability for use);
  • exchange of a passport issued in 1994 for an ID-card (upon request or in case of unsuitability);
  • simultaneous issuance of a passport and an ID-card;
  • exchange of a driver's license.

The Passport Service has been opened at the following address: Am Treptower Park 14, 12435 Berlin, 2nd floor. For the period of operation in the test mode, visitors will be served from Monday to Saturday from 9:00 to 18:00 in a "live" queue. Website & address mceclip0.png.

On April 21, 2023, DP "Dokument" was also opened in the city of Cologne. Website & address mceclip0.png.

Ukrainian refugees living in Germany can now use the new AusweisApp2 application to apply for services digitally.

Thanks to the online version of the electronic residence permit, you can easily confirm your identity. To do this, you need to read the data from the chip of your electronic residence permit with an NFC smartphone and send it to the required service using the AusweisApp2 app in encrypted form.

This way, you can now open a bank account online quickly and easily, apply for support under the Federal Education Assistance Act (BAföG) or register with the Federal Employment Agency.

You can manage your own PIN, find out about operator offers, and get information about your residence permit using the app. You can also use the app to check whether your device can read the online version of your electronic residence permit and whether the online version function is activated.

The application can be downloaded from the в Apple App Store mceclip0.png, Huawei App Gallery mceclip0.png and Google Play Store mceclip0.png.

In which cities are there representative offices of Ukraine in Germany?

Embassy of Ukraine in Berlin

Consulate General of Ukraine in Hamburg

Consulate General of Ukraine in Munich

Consulate General of Ukraine in Dusseldorf

Consulate General of Ukraine in Frankfurt am Main

What happens after a border crossing?

We recommend arriving at the three main train stations - Hanover, Cottbus and Berlin. There are volunteers here who can give you the help you need, and there are also buses from these stations to refugee locations and other cities throughout Germany. Please note that after arriving at your destination, you will no longer be able to use free travel in public transport, as it was canceled on June 1, 2022.

Registration in Germany must be started at the arrival center or refugee initial reception center. You can also find temporary housing here, get social and medical assistance and food. The center will issue you a certificate of arrival. Registration is not an application for refugee status.

If you have not received a private accommodation, you must report to the initial reception facilities upon arrival.

If you have received private accommodation, you should register as soon as possible at the Residents' Registration Office and apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office mceclip0.png.

The reception center for refugees from Ukraine at the old Berlin airport will continue to operate in 2024. The Berlin Senate passed a decision to continue the operation of the reception center for refugees from Ukraine at the former Tegel Airport. Address: Saatwinkler Damm, 13405 Berlin

Consulting centers in Germany:

  1. Mein Weg nach Deutschland mceclip0.png (Counseling Service in Germany) provides answers to frequently asked questions and conducts online consultations.
  2. Jugendmigrationsdienste: Jmd4you mceclip0.png – counseling assistance via various messengers.
  3. Migrationsberatung für erwachsene Zuwandernde mceclip0.png: Mbeon, you can get various advice and find help in the regions of Germany.
How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

You can get to Germany by long-distance train from Poland, the Czech Republic or Austria. On odd numbers, a humanitarian train mceclip0.png departs from Przemyśl in Poland to Germany, with the final stop in Hanover. You do not need a ticket, registration card or any other document to board the train. It is enough just to come to the appropriate platform in Przemyśl some time before the departure of the train. Trains are currently scheduled to run until the end of March inclusively.

When boarding the humanitarian train, priority will be given to certain categories of citizens:

  • persons who have a bracelet from the Polish Red Cross;
  • families with children;
  • elderly people;
  • citizens with disabilities.

The rest of the passengers will have the opportunity to travel for free, if there are still seats on the train.

Departure time from Przemyśl is 22:30. In Germany, the train arrives in Hanover, estimated time is between 14:30 and 16:00.

It is better to arrive in the country at three main stations - Hanover, Cottbus and Berlin. There are volunteers here who can give you the help you need, and there are also buses from these stations to refugee locations and other cities throughout Germany.

Free one-time train travel mceclip0.png for Ukrainians traveling from Ukraine for the first time.

Children under the age of six can travel on Deutsche Bahn for free, there is no need to buy a separate ticket for the child, but when buying a ticket for an adult, you must indicate that you are traveling with a child.

Children up to and including 14 years old can use the railway for free, provided that the child is accompanied by a person no younger than 15 years old. Up to 4 children can travel with one companion - all of them must be specified when buying a ticket.

Attention! If a child under the age of 14 travels independently, he must pay 50% of the ticket price.

Persons aged 15 and over must purchase a full-price train ticket. At the same time, children aged 6 to 18 can purchase a special BahnCard25 travel card mceclip0.png. It costs 9.5 euros and gives a 25% discount on all long-distance transportation in economy class. The card must be purchased once and will be valid until the owner turns 19 years old.

Deutsche Bahn also has special fares for young people under the age of 27. Such tickets can be purchased in a separate section on the website mceclip0.png.

From January 1, 2023, Ukrainian refugees will be able to buy discount tickets for all public transport, with the exception of high-speed trains IC and ICE, for 49 euros. The ticket will be distributed throughout Germany. It can be bought online on the website mceclip0.png, and it will operate by subscription.

Since May, Deutschlandticket or "ticket D" has been in effect in Germany - a discount ticket for all public transport for 49 euros per month. Source mceclip0.png.

The pass is valid for:

  • city buses;
  • underground;
  • trams;
  • local trains such as RB, RE, S-Bahn (SPNV) trains.

With Flixbus, you can travel free of charge from the Polish border towns of Przemyśl and Rzeszów to Germany. This offer is valid for all refugees from Ukraine regardless of nationality. You can get a free ticket on There you have to click on the chat at the bottom right. Enter your last name, first name, and email address there and select the category "Gutschein" (voucher). The subcategory does not matter. A staff member will then help you online to get a free ticket. Or you can send an email to with a request for a free ticket and your name and email address. However, according to Flixbus, the website is faster.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Available services and information sites are:

More information at Handbook Germany mceclip0.png.

Touristic travel is possible and does not affect your temporary protection status. With a biometric passport, Ukrainian nationals can continue to travel inside the Schengen Area without a visa and stay there for a total of 90 days within 180 days. The same applies if you have already been granted a residence permit, e.g., for temporary protection, even if you do not have a biometric passport. In such a case, you do not need a separate visa.

If you wish to continue traveling in order to apply for temporary protection in another EU member state, this is at this moment usually possible without a visa. In case of doubt, please ask about the entry procedures in the country to which you wish to travel. There is currently no European assignment procedure for persons wishing to apply for temporary protection. You then apply for the residence permit for temporary protection on site in the new member state.

If you have already received temporary protection in Germany, you may move to another EU country under certain circumstances. To do this, you must submit an application for a transfer of residence to the immigration office responsible for you. The foreigners authority responsible for you is the foreigners authority at your current place of residence. You can find the address on bamf.navi mceclip0.png. If your application for a change of residence is successful, you will receive a "Certificate of Change of Residence". This certificate then states what you have to do in the next step and which authority in the other EU country you have to contact.

How long can I stay?

The validity of the residence title issued within the temporary protection procedure is to be retroactive from the credible date of entry into Germany, at the earliest 4 March 2022, until 4 March 2024. Regardless of that, all persons fleeing Ukraine are allowed to stay in the EU for 90 days within a 180 day period of time without any limitations or an obligation to register.

According to the "Ukraine Residence Transitional Ordinance mceclip0.png" which is currently valid until May 31, 2023, if you enter Germany for the first time by May 31, 2023, you must apply for a residence permit by August 29, 2023 at the latest.

Currently, there is no current information regarding the extension of the Residence Permit issued as part of the temporary protection procedure until March 4, 2024.

The EU migration calculator mceclip0.png helps to calculate the number of days of stay in EU countries for those who do not apply for temporary protection.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

Children and adolescents under 18 years of age are considered to be underage and cannot effectively undertake many legal actions themselves. The Youth Welfare Office takes care of them if they entered the country without their parents or other legal guardians.
The juvenile court appoints a legal guardian for unaccompanied children. Before they turn 18, the application for asylum can only be filed by the legal guardian or Youth Welfare Office.

Unaccompanied minors can also contact the German Association for Unaccompanied Minors mceclip0.png.

If an unaccompanied minor is recognised as a refugee, they can have their parents join them in Germany. A family reunification process mceclip0.png has to be carried out in such circumstances.
More information at UNHCR mceclip0.png.

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

There are currently no quarantine measures when entering Germany in connection with the Covid-19 epidemic, however, from October 1, the German government has introduced certain restrictions mceclip0.png on movement within the state.

From February 2, 2023, the requirement to wear a mask in long-distance public transport, including international connections, was abolished in Germany, but wearing a mask in hospitals is still necessary.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

The entire process of registration for temporary protection in Germany is divided into the following stages: initial registration and (in the case of the need for social assistance) allocation to a certain city, registration at the address of residence in the city of destination and application for a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel). For initial registration in Germany, you need to contact the primary receprion center in one of the federal states.

The status of whether displaced people can be accepted in a particular federal state can change very quickly. Therefore, information that dates back only a few days or weeks is often outdated and does not reflect the actual situation. In addition, it can also happen that the capacities in single municipalities within federal states are exhausted. Please inform yourself of the current status of reception in a particular federal state before arrival. Here is a list of addresses of the reception centers in different federal states which can be your first contact points:

  • BERLIN: Former Tegel Airport - Saatwinkler Damm, 13405 Berlin
  • Bayern: Ergolding - Schindlerstraße 19, 84030 Ergolding
  • Baden Württemberg: Messe Sindelfingen - Mahdentalstraße 116, 71065 Sindelfingen
  • Hessen: Gießen - Rödgener Straße 91, 35394 Gießen
  • Sachsen: Meerane - Seiferetziger Schulweg 10, 08393 Meerane
  • Thüringen: Suhl - Weidbergstraße 24-26, 98527 Suhl
  • Saarland: Lebach - Pommernstraße 1, 66822 Lebach

From the reception center you will be assigned to another city within this or another federal state, where you will be able to register for social benefits and find accommodation.

You can also apply for temporary protection in Germany after you have been given shelter by a German family and have been helped to obtain an official residential address. In such case, please contact the relevant immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) in your city.

Lastly, the third option for obtaining temporary protection status is family reunification. For example, if one of your family members previously received temporary protection in a federal state that no longer accepts refugees, then you may apply to the authorities for permission to obtain temporary protection status for the purpose of family reunification. Please note that this normally applies to close relatives only (i.e. husband/wife, minor children).

Can I get temporary protection in this country if I have previously obtained temporary protection in another country?

Germany grants temporary protection even if you have already received it before in another EU member state.

In Germany, you are also not required to officially "deregister" in another country. Most of the European Member States have joined the Temporary Protection Directive Platform (TPD Platform), in which centralized registration takes place. If you register in Germany for a residence permit, your identity will be identified using your passport or other identity document. The data is then stored in the so-called "foreigner register" in Germany and transferred from Germany to the TPD platform. If there is a match because you have already been registered before, the Member State where you originally applied for temporary protection is automatically informed.

If my family member has foreign citizenship, can he/she get temporary protection in this country with me?

In accordance with Article 2 of the Implementing Decision of the Council of the EU, temporary protection applies to family members of Ukrainian citizens who lived in Ukraine until February 24, 2022. At the same time, the citizenship of such a family member does not matter.

The Decision directly states that for the purposes of temporary protection, the family should have already existed and lived in the territory of Ukraine until February 24, 2022. At the same time, the concept of "family member" is defined quite broadly in the Decision, in particular:

  • the second spouse of a citizen of Ukraine, or an unmarried partner with whom the person is in a stable relationship, if the legislation or practice of the relevant EU state considers unmarried couples as spouses in accordance with its national legislation on foreigners;
  • minor unmarried children of a citizen of Ukraine, or of the second spouse, regardless of whether they were born in or out of wedlock, or were adopted;
  • other close relatives who lived together as part of the family as of February 24, 2022, and who at that time were fully or mostly dependent on a citizen of Ukraine.

Thus, family members can include not only the official husband/wife, but also civil partners who lived in the same family with a citizen of Ukraine at the time the war began and got married after 02/24/2022 (or continue to live in a civil partnership). However, the provision of temporary protection for this category of persons remains at the discretion of each EU country, depending on its family legislation.

German national law stipulates that for the purposes of temporary protection, unmarried partners living in a permanent relationship are also considered "family members". The "permanence" of the relationship is determined by the criteria of exclusivity and the desire of the partners to support each other financially and emotionally throughout life.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

At the moment, there is no need to renew the status of temporary protection, the residence permit in Germany is valid until March 4, 2024. Source mceclip0.png.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

You are entitled to benefits (for example, social benefits, medical insurance, etc.), either after expressing a request for protection or after you were granted a residence permit.

However, the owners of the Fiktionsbescheinigung certificate have a certain limitation, because this document is internal and is valid only on the territory of Germany. With it, you can travel around Germany, but you can only travel to other EU countries or Ukraine within the framework of your existing visa-free regime. You can start working in Germany once you obtain the Fiktionsbescheinigung wilth a note that "Paid activity is allowed" (in German: "Erwerbstätigkeit erlaubt").

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

Once the application for temporary protection is submitted, you will be issued the "Fiktionsbescheinigung", an internal temporary document that confirms that you have applied for and are waiting for the residence permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). You will not be able to get an Aufenthaltstitel right away, because the certificate is printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin, and this process can take several weeks.

Fiktionsbescheinigung is issued immediately after submitting the application, it can be a separate document or a stamp in the passport. The Federal Office for Refugees even advises asking the Migration Service to issue a Fiktionsbescheinigung as proof of a valid application for temporary protection. On the Fiktionsbescheinigung the BAMF will make a note "Paid activity is allowed" (in German: "Erwerbstätigkeit erlaubt"), which entitles you to legally work in Germany.

Please note: Fiktionsbescheinigung does not replace a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) and therefore does not allow you to travel abroad and re-enter Germany after stay abroad.

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

You can return to Ukraine for a period longer than 6 months. If you stay there for a longer period of time, your legal residence permit in Germany loses its legal validity. However, it is possible to advise the Lands and Immigration Office that you have personal matters but plan to return.

If you decide not to return, you must notify the Administrative Services Center in advance so that you can be deregistered. Source mceclip0.png.

What should be done before leaving for Ukraine forever?

Check out of the apartment

You need to make an Abmeldung from your home, i.e. check out . A local authority, such as the Bürgeramt, is usually responsible for this procedure. After check out, your name should be removed from the mailbox. Deregistration can be done as early as 7 days before, but no later than 14 days after eviction.

Close the bank account

It is best to do this at a bank branch with your passport, credit card and IBAN number. In some banks, it is possible to do this online.

Notify the Jobcenter/Sozialamt/Familienkasse

If you receive social assistance, you must notify each service that pays you by physical letter of your departure.

Waive taxes on radio and television, if you paid for them yourself

For this, you need to inform the German radio and television service. You can do this online at the Rundfunkservice website.

Terminate contracts for rent, electricity, home internet, etc

As a general rule, it is necessary to warn tenants in writing three months before departure. However, this rule does not apply to fixed-term tenancies, so it is important to check your contract for any special conditions.

Cancel your subscription to public transport ahead of time

The conditions for canceling such a subscription are specified in your contract with the transport company. For a DB ticket for 49 euros, it costs a month to cancel the contract.

If you or your child is studying, you must notify the school/university/kindergarten and the language course administration.

Notify your health insurance company

To do this, you may be asked to provide a document about an extract from your residence in Germany, a copy of your tickets to Ukraine, and a statement regarding the refusal of insurance services. In most cases, this list of documents can be sent to a special email of the insurance company.

If your documents are still pending or you have a temporary Fiktionsbescheinigung, it is better to inform the migration service of your decision. Source mceclip0.png.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

Yes. Having a valid foreign biometric passport, you can travel around the EU without a visa up to 90 days in any 180 days period. The German government cautions that entering another Schengen state may not always be permitted due to border controls or other entry restrictions.
Please note that the residence permit will be invalid if you leave the country and will not return within six months.

As a general rule, as a beneficiary of benefits of any kind (e.g. Burgergeld) you have the obligation of residence in the city of registration. If you wish to move to another city, you must apply to the immigration authorities of your current place of residence to have the residence requirement lifted or changed. Both the immigration authorities of your current place of residence and the destination of the move must agree.

The following documents are required for this:

  • an informal application ("I hereby apply for the residence obligation to be lifted for the following people (names and date of birth) because I have found permanent work in (city) and there is a prospect of an apartment);
  • a copy of the employment contract or a written job offer.
Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Yes but the German government discourages applying for asylum, as the required protection will be granted through a different and shorter procedure. If you decide to pursue an asylum application, you would have to cancel the status granted under temporary protection and lose your right to work and have certain benefits. It is not advised to Ukrainian nationals who qualify for the temporary protection status to apply for asylum. The temporary protection is more beneficial and is granted much faster.

Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter. Persons seeking international protection have similar rights as for temporary protection, but there are also some differences. In the case of an asylum application, a person can access the labor market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case. In the case of temporary protection, access to the labor market may be granted much earlier. For more information concerning the asylum procedure please consult the section Seeking Asylum at the link mceclip0.png.

Alternatively to asylum, you can also apply for "family reunification" if you are a minor child of or married to a person residing legally in Germany.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

If you meet the requirements for a long-term visa (e.g. a student visa, a visa for a skilled worker, family reunification, etc.), you can apply for the visa directly at the immigration office responsible for you. The immigration office responsible for you is the one at your current place of residence. You can find the address on bamf.navi. You can find out more about the various long-term visas at the link mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

Most immigration authorities immediately issue a temporary certificate. This means that the residence is considered legal from day 1.

What if I don't have the international passport?

Germany offered an exception for those without a biometric passport (i.e. international passport) based on humanitarian grounds. A national ID card will be accepted if you don’t have an International Passport. The respective "Ukraine Residence Transitional Ordinance" is currently valid until May 31, 2023.

More information at German Federal Foreign Office mceclip0.png.

If you have previously left Ukraine for Turkey on a civil passport, you definitely need to apply for a foreign passport. This can be done in the new DP division "Document".

The Passport Service has been opened at the following address: Am Treptower Park 14, 12435 Berlin, 2nd floor. For the period of operation in the test mode, visitors will be served from Monday to Saturday from 9:00 to 18:00 in a "live" queue.

On April 21, 2023, DP "Dokument" was also opened in the city of Cologne.

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Germany?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Germany, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Germany?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Germany retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

The best and cheapest way to take photos for documents is at a DM or Rossmann store. If a person has an electronic version of a documentary photo, you can simply print it out in the same stores.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

First, it is necessary to obtain an official document - "Death Certificate" (German: "Sterbeurkunde") at the "Standesamt" or

  • "Extract from the death certificate" (in German "Auszug aus dem Sterbeeintrag") or
  • "Certificate on postponing the registration of the fact of death" (in German "Bescheinigung über die Zurückstellung eines Sterbefall").

IMPORTANT: After receiving the Death Certificate, it is necessary to put an "APOSTILLE" seal on it.

A death registration document without an "APOSTILLE" stamp is invalid for Ukraine, will not allow crossing the state and customs border of Ukraine, will block the import of a coffin with a body or an urn with ashes of a deceased person into Ukraine.

The "APOSTILLE" stamp is affixed in the district administration bodies ("Bezirksregierung" / "Regierungspräsidium"), which are subordinate to the local civil registration office - "Standesamt" that issued the death certificate.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

You’ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. For transporting a coffin with a body or an urn with ashes of a deceased citizen to Ukraine, a cover letter from the Embassy is drawn up on the basis of the following documents:

  • passport of a citizen of Ukraine for departure abroad of a deceased person;
  • a death certificate issued by the German authorities ("Sterbeurkunde" / "Auszug aus dem Sterbeeintrag" / "Bescheinigung über die Zurückstellung eines Sterbefall" certified by the stamp "APOSTILLE" and translated into Ukrainian;
  • a passport for the transportation of a deceased person (Leichenpass), certified by the "APOSTILLE" stamp and translated into Ukrainian (issued at German civil status registration institutions - "Standesamt");
  • the original of the document on the absence of extraneous attachments or objects in the coffin or urn with ashes, together with a translation into Ukrainian;
  • a medical certificate stating that the deceased has no infectious diseases.
  • cremation certificate (Einäscherungbescheinigung), translated into Ukrainian. Documents issued by German competent authorities are used on the territory of Ukraine after their corresponding certification with an "APOSTILLE" stamp. In the case of submission/presentation of a certificate of cremation to the relevant Ukrainian authorities, such a certificate is certified by an "APOSTILLE" stamp.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I translate my documents?

You can translate your documents at any translation agency in your city. Search for «Übersetzung von Dokumenten» on Google.

If you need help with oral communication in German, volunteer translators @moovaBot in Telegram can help you with this for free.

Where can Ukrainians get free legal aid?

The Refugee Law Clinic mceclip0.png is an association of organizations that provide legal advice throughout Germany. Online and offline, in Ukrainian, English and other languages.

Laws of Germany is a Facebook group mceclip0.png for Ukrainians where German laws are discussed. mceclip0.png is the official page of the Laws of Germany group, where important updates in the law concerning Ukrainians are regularly published.

Pro Asyl mceclip0.png  — legal assistance in matters of refugee status, family reunification and the threat of deportation. In English and German.

SoMB — SoMB advises Ukrainians throughout Germany on issues of access to the labor market, professional integration in Germany, etc. Write in Telegram: @ProjektSoMBUkrainisch.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?

Previously, mobile operators Deutsche Telekom and Vodafone distributed free SIM cards to Ukrainian refugees. At the moment, the promotion has expired, so you will have to buy SIM cards yourself in stores.

Do you have a legal question that you can’t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.