The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

UNHCR provides cash assistance through Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and its partners: Caritas Moldova and Diaconia. Each eligible refugee is entitled to 2,200 MDL/month. The grant will be renewed for refugees remaining in the country.

Please find more information on how to get cash assistance here mceclip0.png.

How do I set up a bank account?

You can open a bank account in any bank registered in Moldova. You can find the list of registered banks here mceclip0.png.

Documents required: Passport or Identity Card.

Account Opening procedure: Come with the documents to the nearby branches of the bank. Here mceclip0.png you can find OTP branch and ATM locations.

The maximum amount which you can deposit in the bank account is 10,000 EUR.
Find more information about bank account opening here mceclip0.png.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can withdraw cash at ATMs or at the bank. You can exchange the currencies at any bank or exchange center.

Exchange of Ukrainian hryvnia for Moldovan lei is possible at the level of 5,000 UAH per client/day.ย Operations are carried out on a priority basis on the basis of an identity card issued by the authorities of Ukraine (domestic or international passport).ย The service is available at OTP Bank branches. Source mceclip0.png.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

If you are officially employed, your employer pays taxes on your behalf. Otherwise, you should register at the regional Tax Office, and submit the declaration on your incomes, on an annual basis, before 31 March of each year.

Website mceclip0.png of the State Tax Service of Moldova.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

If you are officially employed, your employer pays taxes on your behalf. Otherwise, you should register at the regional Tax Office, and submit the declaration on your incomes, on an annual basis, before 31 March of each year.

How to avoid double taxation?

There is an ingenious, but not perfect, solution โ€” to prove to the tax authority of the state in which the citizen does not plan to pay taxes that he is a resident of another country where he fulfills this duty.

A natural person has such a right, as Ukraine has valid conventions and treaties on the avoidance of double taxation with 73 countries of the world. Among them are almost all European countries, as well as the USA and Canada. According to these conventions, Ukrainians who pay taxes in Ukraine have the right to avoid taxation in the country of residence.

If such a situation arises in which a citizen falls under the criteria of a tax resident of Ukraine and at the same time another state defines him as its resident, he has the right to contact the tax authorities of the country of residence and make a request to the Ukrainian tax authorities to confirm that he pays taxes.

That is, in order to prevent double taxation, it is necessary to determine the resident status of an individual and, if necessary, obtain a document that will confirm it. But this may require the help of specialists - tax consultants or lawyers. Specialists advise in advance to collect evidence of the presence of a center of economic interests in Ukraine (if you plan to pay taxes only in Ukraine).

Among them may be:

  • certificate of payment of taxes in Ukraine;
  • certificate of tax resident of Ukraine (soon to be available in electronic form);
  • actual place of registration in Ukraine;
  • evidence of the presence of an individual entrepreneur registered in Ukraine (registration documents and tax declarations);
  • certificates of current accounts in Ukrainian banks;
  • certificates about the child's attendance at educational institutions in Ukraine;
  • receipts for the payment of utility bills.

If a citizen of Ukraine is recognized as a resident of Ukraine, but paid taxes in another country, the taxes paid can be credited in Ukraine. But if a person does not meet the criteria of a resident of Ukraine, it allows to change the tax resident status and consider another country as the place of tax payment.

It is important to check the registration of a natural person as a subject of entrepreneurial activity in the Unified State Register. Even if the activity has not been carried out for a long time, but the registration has not been terminated, this is a criterion for recognizing a person as a resident of Ukraine, which is accompanied by the obligation to pay taxes on income received abroad in Ukraine.

Being a citizen of Ukraine, but a tax NON-resident, you will still have to pay taxes in Ukraine for some types of income:

  • when receiving inheritance and gifts from persons who are not relatives of the 1st and 2nd degrees of kinship;
  • when receiving an investment profit;
  • when selling/leasing immovable and movable property to a natural person.

Source mceclip0.png.

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Moldova to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.