The information on this page was collected from public resources and does not constitute legal advice.

General information on border crossing?

You can cross the border with Moldova by car and on foot on these points: Mamalyha/ะšryva, Kelmentsi/Larga, Rossoshany/Brichen, Mohyliv-Podilskyi/Otaci, Bronnitsa/Ungur, Sokiryany/Oknitsa.

You can check the interactive map mceclip0.png. A list of border crossing points between Ukraine and neighboring countries is available at mceclip0.png. For any additional information you can call the Border Police hotline +373 22 259 717.

Chatbot to help Ukrainians around the world from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine

The chatbot can simultaneously serve several users and provide advice on the most common questions, namely:

  • rules of entry to a foreign country;
  • registration of temporary protection;
  • social security;
  • return to Ukraine;
  • consular services.

You can get help through the chatbot at the link mceclip0.png.

In addition to the chatbot, citizens can also contact the call center at +38 (044) 224-57-20.

What documents do I need to enter?

You can enter Moldova with any of the following documents:

  • A biometric passport.
  • Ukrainian ID. According to the Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (DPSU), the citizens of Ukraine who can leave Ukraine with an internal passport are currently only those evacuating from occupied territories or territories where hostilities are taking place, the list of which is approved in accordance with the Order of the Ministry on Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine of December 22, 2022 No. 309 mceclip0.png. Citizens from other territories must have a biometric passport to travel abroad.
  • Children under the age of 16 traveling with their parents must have a birth certificate. Children have the right to cross the border with one parent (without the official permission of the other parent). If the child is traveling with acquaintances or relatives, she/he needs to have a travel permit from one of the parents, certified by a notary.

In order to prove family/marital status, birth certificates and a marriage certificate are required.

The telephone number of the DPSU hotline ("Trust" Service) is 1598. You can use it for questions of a consultative nature within the competence of the State Border Service of Ukraine.

For more information about the documents with which you can cross the border, and about the categories of citizens who are allowed to travel outside Ukraine, see here mceclip0.png.

What happens after a border crossing?

There are 7 routes you can take after crossing the border, they are listed at mceclip0.png . If you are crossing by car, you can head to one of the official refugee centers mceclip0.png. You can check out the interactive map mceclip0.png which shows routes to these centers. If you hadn't obtained the electronic vignette or green card before crossing the border make sure you obtain it within the first 24 hours. Also please make sure you familiarise yourself with these safety rules mceclip0.png in case you are a female and traveling alone/with children.

How can I get from the border to the capital (a certain town)?

You can reach other cities by:

  • Train - more information about the routes is here mceclip0.png.
  • Bus - more information about the routes is here mceclip0.png.

Please note that currently, Moldovan government organizes transportation of Ukrainian citizens free of charge at the following border points: Palanca - Maiki-Udobnoe; and Tudora-Starokazacie.

How can I travel to another (specific) country?

Ukrainians or citizens of other visa-free countries can continue to travel to EU/Schengen countries for up to 90 days in 180 days. Travel options are:

  • Plane - you can travel by plane from Chisinau International Airport mceclip0.png to almost all EU countries. You can check the plane tickets here mceclip0.png. EU+ program free flights for refugees mceclip0.png to another EU country
  • Bus - you can travel to Romania by bus from Chisinau (Central Station), Balti and Cahul. You can check the schedule here mceclip0.png. Bus tickets to EU countries can be checked here mceclip0.png.
  • Train - you can travel to Romania (Bucharest) by train. You can check the schedule and book a ticket here mceclip0.png.
How long can I stay?

You can stay in Moldova without a visa for 90 days in any 180 days period. Temporary protection is provided until 4 March 2023. The term will be automatically prolonged by an additional 6 months up to a maximum of 1 year.

Where can an unaccompanied minor get help?

An unaccompanied minor will get help at border police, customs office, or any police station if the minor already crossed the border. The minor will be accompanied by a police officer to the camp where a social assistant will help him/her. You can call the following number for services related to unaccompanied children, family separation, and other child protection needs.

  • Child Helpline / Phone: 116111
  • Moldova Police / Phone: 112
  • Law Centre of Advocates / Phone: +373 60574848

More information at UNICEF mceclip0.png.

Are there any Covid-related requirements and if yes, what are they?

Currently, there are no Covid-related requirements at the border applicable to people fleeing war in Ukraine.

Where do I register for temporary protection?

From May 15 to August 13, 2023, citizens who arrived from Ukraine can stay in Moldova legally, but by August 13, 2023, it is necessary to obtain any of the legal statuses on the territory of the Republic of Moldova. Citizens arriving in Moldova after May 15 can stay in the country for 90 days, during which they should apply for temporary protection.

To apply for temporary protection, you must:

  1. register on the website mceclip0.png;
  2. come to the reception at the selected office of the General Inspectorate for Migration with the originals of identity documents.

In addition to temporary protection, citizens of Ukraine, in accordance with the current legislation of the Republic of Moldova, have access to such legal statuses as: permanent residence permit, refugee status, political asylum, humanitarian protection, statelessness, Moldovan citizenship. However, obtaining temporary protection status is recommended for citizens of Ukraine.

How to extend the status of temporary protection?

On February 18, 2022, the Government of the Republic of Moldova decided to provide temporary protection for temporarily displaced persons from Ukraine, which came into force on March 1, 2023. According to this decision, citizens of Ukraine who received the status of temporary protection are guaranteed the right to legal stay in Moldova until March 1, 2024, in particular, the right to employment, education, free access to the list of medical services.

What are my rights while I wait to get temporary protection?

The temporary protection in Moldova differs from the temporary protection granted in the EU countries by its financial assistance. Please call for more information at: 0 8000 15 27.

To get legal assistance while applying for asylum you can get by contacting the Office of National Advocate: +373 60002657, mceclip0.png or calling the hotline + 37 360 23 89 27, mceclip0.png.

You can read more about the help provided in Moldova in the bottom of this page mceclip0.png.

What documents will I receive once I get temporary protection?

Please contact 0 8000 15 27 for the latest information and check website mceclip0.png.

May I temporarily return to Ukraine? What will happen to my protection status?

Beneficiaries of international protection (asylum) cannot return to their country of origin while they are considered a refuge.
If you have received temporary protection, you can return to Ukraine for a short period of time without any negative consequences. Before leaving the country that has given you temporary protection, we recommend that you notify the state social security authorities.
For repatriation assistance, you should contact the embassy/consulate of your country of origin in the EU country where you are currently staying. The national authorities in this country can also help you to contact your embassy/consulate in case you encounter problems and may offer assistance for your repatriation.
If you want to return to Ukraine, then most likely you will have to buy a train or bus ticket with your own money.

What should be done before coming to Ukraine?

Relinquish temporary protection status:

Regardless of the country of residence, temporary protection must be waived. Your status will be revoked by the state body or institution where you issued the documents. However, citizens of Ukraine can re-obtain this status if they decide to return abroad.

Make sure your documents are valid:

Citizens who left Ukraine with a valid foreign passport will not face any difficulties. The expired document can be extended in diplomatic institutions for another five years - this decision was made by the Cabinet of Ministers, because it is not possible to issue biometrics abroad. You can also add a child's data to an adult's passport.

Ukrainians who have only an internal passport or who left Ukraine without documents should also contact the embassy or consulate. Employees of the institution will issue a special document - an identity card for returning to Ukraine (it is not necessary to pay the consular fee during martial law).

Cancel receiving cash assistance abroad:

When returning home, refugees cannot receive state benefits. If you do not notify the relevant institution about your departure from the country, it will be considered an offence. In such a case, a Ukrainian may be fined or even banned from entering the country.

By the way, it is not necessary to declare cash payments received abroad in Ukraine.

Can I move around the country and the European Union freely while under temporary protection?

You can move around the country freely for 90 days within a period of 180 days.ย 
Regarding other EU countries, it is recommended to contact directly the diplomatic authorities of the country where you would like to travel. Alternatively, it is recommended to contact the Ukrainian Embassy in the Republic of Moldova mceclip0.png.
We want to remind you that while your asylum application is being considered you are prohibited for 6 months to cross the border of the host state.

Can I apply for asylum while under temporary protection? What is the difference?

Yes, you can apply for asylum (international protection). To check out the places where you can apply click here mceclip0.png. The main differences from the temporary protection are the following:

Temporary protection:

  • It is a new addition to the international protection (asylum).
  • Fast access to the residency rights, housing, social welfare assistance, medical care, legal assistance and safe placement for unaccompanied children and teenagers, access to education for children and teenagers, access to the job market.

Asylum mceclip0.png:

  • Under EU law, you can apply for international protection (asylum) in the first safe country you enter.
  • It is a complex procedure and it will take time until your case will be reviewed
  • You can access the job market after 6 months if no final decision has yet been taken on the case.
  • You are prohibited for 6 months to cross the border of the host state while your application is being considered.

You can also apply for "family reunification" if a family member already resides legally in the EU.

How and where can I apply for the residency?

Ukrainian citizens need to register at the Bureau for Migration and Asylum. The procedures and the required documents for application can be found on the Bureau's website mceclip0.png.

How long I need to wait to get the residency?

Generally, the request is examined within 30 days from the moment of submission of the required documents. However, the expedited procedure takes 10 days.

What if I don't have the international passport?

Currently, if you are Ukrainian citizen, you can cross Moldovan border without an international passport.

How to issue a foreign passport while abroad?

In order to issue a foreign passport, you need to contact the Ukrainian Embassy mceclip0.png.

A foreign passport is issued to a person who has reached the age of 16 on the basis of an application-questionnaire submitted by him personally. At the same time, the issuance of a foreign passport to a person who has been recognized by the court as having limited legal capacity or incapacity is carried out on the basis of an application-questionnaire of the guardian or other legal representative.

The following are attached to the application:

  • previous passport to be exchanged (if the passport is not issued for the first time);
  • internal passport in the form of a booklet (if available);
  • or ID card (if available);
  • a document confirming permanent residence or temporary stay abroad (if available);
  • certificate of registration of the place of residence in Ukraine / certificate of registration of the place of residence of a temporarily displaced person (if available);
  • a certificate of assignment of the registration number of the taxpayer's registration card (RNOKPP; if available).

In case of loss or theft of the previous passport, a document (report, certificate, etc.) issued by the competent authority of the state in which the passport was lost or stolen is attached to the application, confirming the fact of the owner's application regarding its loss or theft. Such a document is submitted without legalization and translation into Ukrainian.

In the case of issuing a passport in connection with a change in personal data (surname and/or first name), a document confirming such a change (marriage certificate, divorce certificate, court decision, etc.) is attached to the application. When issuing a foreign passport with a new surname and/or first name, the "domestic" passport (ID card) must be reissued.

In the event that the applicant has not previously been issued with an identity document, confirming Ukrainian citizenship and/or granting the right to leave Ukraine and enter Ukraine, a certificate of registration of the person as a citizen of Ukraine is provided (with the exception of cases when the person's parents at the time of his were citizens of Ukraine at birth).

How can a Ukrainian refugee register a newborn in this country?

You can register the birth of a child only at the consulate. There, the determination of his origin and the assignment of his surname, first name, and patronymic are carried out.

The application for registration must be submitted immediately, but no later than one month after the birth of the child, and in the case of a stillborn child - no later than three days.

The registration process takes place at the place of birth or at the place of residence of the child's parents or one of them (with a written application). At the same time, in case of illness, death of the parents or for other reasons it is impossible to register the birth - the application can be submitted by relatives or other persons authorized by the representative of the health care institution in which the child was born or is currently.

What is required for registration?

  • a document from a medical institution about the birth of a child, passports certifying the identity of the parents;
  • application (written or addressed orally) to enter information about the father.

Registration is free, and based on its results, parents are issued a birth certificate.

How to return to the homeland with a child born in the Moldova?

In order for Ukrainians to return home with a child born in the Moldova, they must have with them:

  • a document certifying his identity;
  • a child's birth certificate issued by a consular institution.

Is the status of a citizen of Ukraine preserved during the birth of a child in the Moldova?

A newborn Ukrainian in the Moldova retains the status of a citizen of Ukraine. Data on citizenship and nationality in the act record of birth and certificate are not filled in, which is why a corresponding entry is made in the column "For marks".

In addition, a person whose parents or one of his parents were citizens of Ukraine at the time of his birth is a citizen of Ukraine. The place of birth of the baby does not affect the possibility of him acquiring Ukrainian citizenship.

Where can I take a photo for my documents?

There are numerous shops that offer such services. Look for printer shops & copy centers on Google Maps. Locations in Chisinau - here mceclip0.png.

Where to apply in case of death of a Ukrainian abroad? How to repatriate the deceased to their homeland?

There are several steps involved in the process of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine:

1. Notify the authorities.

The first step of body repatriation from abroad to Ukraine is to contact the local authorities in Moldova, so you can register the death. Ukrainian embassy mceclip0.png should also be able to help you in the process of registering the death abroad.

2. Arrange the correct documents.

Youโ€™ll need to have all the right paperwork before you can repatriate your loved one home from abroad to Ukraine. If you are repatriating a body to Ukraine for burial or cremation, the documents you will need include:

  • Death Certificate.
  • Certificate or Affidavit from the local health authorities stating that the cause of death of the individual to be shipped to Ukraine was not a communicable disease or infections.
  • A Document about the absence of any excessive objects inside the casket or urn with the ashes.
  • The Certificate of Cremation issued be the Funeral home or Cremation office.

All the mentioned documents should be authenticated, legalized and translated into Ukrainian by the certified translator. The originals of abovementioned documents and notarized translations, must accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The passport of the deceased person should be sent to the Embassy of Ukraine along with a notarized and authenticated copy of the Certificate of Death, and a translation from Moldavian to Ukrainian. The Embassy is to make correspondent procedures with the passport and can forward it back if it is required to accompany the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine.

The Embassy is to be informed of the date, time, and the place of delivery of the casket containing the deceased, or urn with ashes, to Ukraine. Only the next of kin relatives of the deceased, or persons correspondingly authorized by them, can receive the casket or urn.

3. Transport the deceased to Ukraine.

The casket containing the body, or urn with ashes, must be sealed by the Funeral Home. There are no strict requirements with respect to the urn with ashes; however, the body should be transported in a metal casket, made of zinc-plated steel or tinplate not more than 0,4 thick.

For the air cargo transportation, it is necessary to specify a cemetery in Ukraine as well as Ukrainian Funeral Home which will take care of the casket, or the urn with ashes, in Ukraine. Both are a subject of private choice by the relatives or friends of the deceased person. Source mceclip0.png.

Where can I translate my documents?

If you're an individual in need of free translation or interpretation services in Russian or Ukrainian, please contact Respond Crisis Translation using this form mceclip0.png or email
Their team can provide free, high-quality, confidential translation online or by phone. More information at Reliefweb mceclip0.png.

How do I get Mobile phone/internet services?
  • Orange mceclip0.png offers free calls to Ukraine.
  • Moldcell mceclip0.png offers free prepaid SIM cards and lower rates of calls to Ukraine.
  • Moldtelecom mceclip0.png offers free prepaid SIM cards with internet access in the refugee centers.

Do you have a legal question that you canโ€™t find an answer for in our FAQs?

Please write to us so we can provide you with legal support. Our pro-bono legal partners will try to respond to your legal request to the best of their ability and knowledge. Please note that due to a high volume of requests, you will receive an answer in a few days after submitting the request at the earliest. Thank you for your patience.