The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

If you have applied or have already been granted temporary refuge, asylum or subsidiary protection, you are entitled to basic state assistance. You can check the conditions of contributions and amount of grant here mceclip0.png.

The amount of financial aid in Slovakia depends on the number of Ukrainian family members and their age. However, the amount cannot exceed 380 euros per family per month.

Amount of payments per month:

  • 74.00 euros per month, if it is an individual,
  • 140.70 euros per month, if it is an individual with a child or a maximum of four children,
  • 128.60 euros per month, if it is a couple without children,
  • 192.40 euros per month, if it is a couple with a child or a maximum of four children,
  • 205.50 euros per month, if it is an individual with more than four children,
  • 259.40 euros per month for a couple with more than four children.

The amounts of aid contributions in material need are as follows:

Protective allowance according to ยง 11 par. 2 is provided in the amount of 75.70 euros per month.

Allowance for a dependent child according to ยง 13 par. 2 of the Act is provided in the amount of 20.70 euros per month.

Housing allowance according to ยง 14 par. 2 is provided in the amount:

  • 63.90 euros per month, if it is a household with one household member,
  • 101.90 euros per month, if it is a household with several household members, or if it is an apartment rented by several tenants.

The application for receiving financial assistance is submitted together with the registration of the status of temporary protection.

The application for the assessment of the right to assistance in material needs must be submitted to the office in the region in which you reside. You can also ask for the necessary advice here mceclip0.png.

More information and the application form can be found on the website of the Center for Labor, Social Affairs and the Family. Contacts of labor governments are available at the link mceclip0.png.

Financial assistance to persons with disabilities

In connection with the cessation of monthly payments by international organizations (UNICEF, UNHCR (UN), IOM), financial assistance to persons with disabilities will be paid by the state.

Who is entitled to help?

Persons who simultaneously meet the following criteria:

  • have a disability, the degree of severity of which is 40% or more, as well as their legal representatives
  • have the status of temporary protection (Odidenec/Docasne utocisko) OR have applied for the status of refugee (asylum)/status of additional protection (subsidiary protection) and because of this the status of temporary protection has ended, OR persons who previously had the status of temporary protection, but lost it in connection with obtaining a residence permit.

If you need specific material assistance (clothing, material equipment for children or household, food), please contact the civic initiatives mceclip0.png or Who Will Help Ukraine mceclip0.png

Overview map of material aid in Slovak cities mceclip0.png and Bratislava mceclip0.png

How do I set up a bank account?

Several banks are currently providing Ukrainian citizens with free ATM withdrawals with cards issued by Ukrainian banks, free opening of a bank account in Slovakia, as well as free transfers of money from their accounts to Ukraine.

Detailed information: Offer of Slovak banks for Ukrainian citizens (SK/UK) mceclip0.png
Source.ย mceclip0.png

How to avoid double taxation?

There is an ingenious, but not perfect, solution โ€” to prove to the tax authority of the state in which the citizen does not plan to pay taxes that he is a resident of another country where he fulfills this duty.

A natural person has such a right, as Ukraine has valid conventions and treaties on the avoidance of double taxation with 73 countries of the world. Among them are almost all European countries, as well as the USA and Canada. According to these conventions, Ukrainians who pay taxes in Ukraine have the right to avoid taxation in the country of residence.

If such a situation arises in which a citizen falls under the criteria of a tax resident of Ukraine and at the same time another state defines him as its resident, he has the right to contact the tax authorities of the country of residence and make a request to the Ukrainian tax authorities to confirm that he pays taxes.

That is, in order to prevent double taxation, it is necessary to determine the resident status of an individual and, if necessary, obtain a document that will confirm it. But this may require the help of specialists - tax consultants or lawyers. Specialists advise in advance to collect evidence of the presence of a center of economic interests in Ukraine (if you plan to pay taxes only in Ukraine).

Among them may be:

  • certificate of payment of taxes in Ukraine;
  • certificate of tax resident of Ukraine (soon to be available in electronic form);
  • actual place of registration in Ukraine;
  • evidence of the presence of an individual entrepreneur registered in Ukraine (registration documents and tax declarations);
  • certificates of current accounts in Ukrainian banks;
  • certificates about the child's attendance at educational institutions in Ukraine;
  • receipts for the payment of utility bills.

If a citizen of Ukraine is recognized as a resident of Ukraine, but paid taxes in another country, the taxes paid can be credited in Ukraine. But if a person does not meet the criteria of a resident of Ukraine, it allows to change the tax resident status and consider another country as the place of tax payment.

It is important to check the registration of a natural person as a subject of entrepreneurial activity in the Unified State Register. Even if the activity has not been carried out for a long time, but the registration has not been terminated, this is a criterion for recognizing a person as a resident of Ukraine, which is accompanied by the obligation to pay taxes on income received abroad in Ukraine.

Being a citizen of Ukraine, but a tax NON-resident, you will still have to pay taxes in Ukraine for some types of income:

  • when receiving inheritance and gifts from persons who are not relatives of the 1st and 2nd degrees of kinship;
  • when receiving an investment profit;
  • when selling/leasing immovable and movable property to a natural person.

Source mceclip0.png.

How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can transfer money from Slovakia to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.