The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Is there cash assistance available? Who is eligible? How does someone apply?

Within the framework of basic care, you can be accommodated in organized accommodation. The operator of the accommodation will cover all costs and provide you with either food or meal allowance. In addition, you will receive a financial allowance for school supplies (up to โ‚ฌ 200.00 per child per year) and clothing (โ‚ฌ 150.00 per person per year), as well as a leisure allowance (up to โ‚ฌ 50 per person per month).

One of the financial support programs is Familienbeihilfe payments for families and young people.

Ukrainians with temporary protection can apply for this assistance in the same way as other Austrian citizens. The right to payment expires together with the right to temporary residence in the country, and no later than March 2024.

To apply for assistance, you must submit an application to the tax service. To do this, fill out the Beih100 form or register via the FinanzOnline website . Here is an example of a completed application. In the questionnaire, it is necessary to indicate the status of the displaced person by selecting the category "valid residence permit".

The following documents should also be submitted with the application:

  • child's birth certificate;
  • report card, certificate or other document to confirm the child's education.

The application is sent to the address of the Austrian Tax Service - PO Box 260, 1000 Vienna. Once it is processed, you will be notified of the payment decision.

The amount of payments depends on the age of the child:

  • newborns - 132,30 euros;
  • from 3 years - 141,50 euros;
  • from 10 years - 164,20 euros;
  • from 19 years old - 191,60 euros.

If there are several children in the family, the amount for each subsequent child increases:

  • for two children, approximately EUR 8,20 is added for each child;
  • for three children - 20,20 euros for each child;
  • for four children - 30,70 euros;
  • for five children - 37,20 euros;
  • for six children - 41,50 euros;
  • for seven or more children - 60,30 euros each;
  • supplement for a child with a disability is 180.90 euros per month.

An application for receiving state assistance for families must be submitted to the tax service .ย 

More information at .

How do I set up a bank account?

To open an account you need a valid Ukrainian passport and a current residence (address) in Austria. To prove your address in Austria you will need Registration Form (Meldezettel).

โ€ข Bank account will be free of charge for the 1st year of use.
โ€ข Banks: Erste Bank and Bank Austria

Also, mobile-only accounts such as those available through N26 , bunq and Revolut are available to non-residents too. Revolut has a simplified program for Ukrainians. To open up a mobile-only bank account, you usually need to provide a physical address, email address, and mobile number.

To open an account, you must provide:

  • A valid foreign passport.
  • Current residence in Austria.
How do I withdraw cash or exchange my currencies?

You can withdraw cash at any bank and in ATMs in the city. Popular banks: Erste Bank, Raiffeisen Zentralbank and UniCredit Bank. Withdrawal limits are determined by your bank.

How do I pay taxes in a country?

As a very rough practical rule a person becomes tax resident in Austria (and obliged to register within one month and to apply for a tax number) if he/she stays during a calendar year for more than 183 days in Austria. Please note, however, that due to case law, administrative regulations and specific rules there can be a lot of nuances and exceptions from this rule especially for the specific case of Ukrainian refugees.

If I already work remotely, how should I pay my taxes?

This should be clarified with your employer.

For more information on tax issues or how to avoid double taxation, please contact the tax office .

Please, seek independent advice for your specific case.

How to avoid double taxation?

There is an ingenious, but not perfect, solution โ€” to prove to the tax authority of the state in which the citizen does not plan to pay taxes that he is a resident of another country where he fulfills this duty.

A natural person has such a right, as Ukraine has valid conventions and treaties on the avoidance of double taxation with 73 countries of the world. Among them are almost all European countries, as well as the USA and Canada. According to these conventions, Ukrainians who pay taxes in Ukraine have the right to avoid taxation in the country of residence.

If such a situation arises in which a citizen falls under the criteria of a tax resident of Ukraine and at the same time another state defines him as its resident, he has the right to contact the tax authorities of the country of residence and make a request to the Ukrainian tax authorities to confirm that he pays taxes.

That is, in order to prevent double taxation, it is necessary to determine the resident status of an individual and, if necessary, obtain a document that will confirm it. But this may require the help of specialists - tax consultants or lawyers. Specialists advise in advance to collect evidence of the presence of a center of economic interests in Ukraine (if you plan to pay taxes only in Ukraine).

Among them may be:

  • certificate of payment of taxes in Ukraine;
  • certificate of tax resident of Ukraine (soon to be available in electronic form);
  • actual place of registration in Ukraine;
  • evidence of the presence of an individual entrepreneur registered in Ukraine (registration documents and tax declarations);
  • certificates of current accounts in Ukrainian banks;
  • certificates about the child's attendance at educational institutions in Ukraine;
  • receipts for the payment of utility bills.

If a citizen of Ukraine is recognized as a resident of Ukraine, but paid taxes in another country, the taxes paid can be credited in Ukraine. But if a person does not meet the criteria of a resident of Ukraine, it allows to change the tax resident status and consider another country as the place of tax payment.

It is important to check the registration of a natural person as a subject of entrepreneurial activity in the Unified State Register. Even if the activity has not been carried out for a long time, but the registration has not been terminated, this is a criterion for recognizing a person as a resident of Ukraine, which is accompanied by the obligation to pay taxes on income received abroad in Ukraine.

Being a citizen of Ukraine, but a tax NON-resident, you will still have to pay taxes in Ukraine for some types of income:

  • when receiving inheritance and gifts from persons who are not relatives of the 1st and 2nd degrees of kinship;
  • when receiving an investment profit;
  • when selling/leasing immovable and movable property to a natural person.

Source .

How can I send money back to Ukraine?

You can transfer money from Austria to Ukraine via an international transfer or money transfer at a corresponding provider or a bank.

For an international transfer at the bank you have to fill out a special form and usually pay fees. Other special money transfer providers (e.g. Western Union, Moneygram, Wise, Revolut, Paypal) are often a cheaper and faster alternative.