The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

You can get all the information you need about registering for a kindergarten from the municipality in which you live.

Vienna: mceclip0.png
Burgenland: mceclip0.png
Carinthia: mceclip0.png
Lower Austria: mceclip0.png
Upper Austria: mceclip0.png
Salzburg: mceclip0.png
Tyrol: mceclip0.png
Vorarlberg: mceclip0.png

Detailed information about enrolling in kindergartens in Vienna can be found here mceclip0.png.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

You can get all the information you need about registering for a kindergarten or school from the municipality in which you live (e.g. MA10 in Vienna).

In the Vienna integration center there is a counseling center run by the Vienna Education Directorate (Room B 1.7. Opening hours Mon โ€“ Wed; 9:00 a.m. โ€“ 1:00 p.m.). This supports you in filling out the online form for the allocation of school places.

When registering your child at an Austrian school, bring the registration letter (Meldezettel), the most recent school certificate from your country (if available) and other important documents (e.g. identity documents).

Information for families with school-age children is available on the websites of the education authorities:

Vienna: mceclip0.png
Burgenland: mceclip0.png
Carinthia: mceclip0.png
Lower Austria: mceclip0.png
Upper Austria: mceclip0.png
Salzburg: mceclip0.png
Tyrol: mceclip0.png
Vorarlberg: mceclip0.png

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

Children up to the age of 18 are automatically covered by their parent's health insurance. After receiving the temporary protection the parents will receive a health insurance which provides access free public healthcare.

Most Austrian hospitals have pediatric wards where you can get treatment by a specialist for your child without a referral. You can simply book an appointment and take your Insurance Card (EHIC) and bring your child with you.

In case of emergency, you can take your child to the emergency department of the nearest hospital. The hospital will provide treatment even if you are not covered by insurance. mceclip0.png is a great way to search for a pediatric specialist in your neighborhood.

Here are some of the main childrenโ€™s hospitals in Austria:
Gottfried von Preyerโ€™sches Kinderspital โ€“ Vienna
Kinderklinik Glanzing โ€“ Vienna
St. Anna Kinderspital โ€“ Vienna
Landes-Kinderkrankenhaus โ€“ Linz

For children, there is a children's outpatient clinic in the Favoriten medical center mceclip0.png.

For emergency situations please contact the hotline +43 1 2676 870 9460 set up at BBU. Information is provided in Ukrainian and Russian.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

The main language of instruction in Austrian universities is German; however, there are also some English-language programs, see here mceclip0.png. If you have chosen a program in German, you must provide proof of German language proficiency.

Please find a list of universities that are putting in place schemes for Ukrainians (and/or other refugees) below.
โ€ข University of Salzburg mceclip0.png (in English)
โ€ข University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna mceclip0.png (in English)
โ€ข University of Klagenfurt mceclip0.png (in English)

For more information for students and researchers visit mceclip0.png.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

German is the predominant language in Austria. However, some studies may take place in English.

Free German language courses in Austria for Ukrainians and open access to materials on this page mceclip0.png.

Where can I take language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

For more information about the TOEFL test go to mceclip0.png; for the IELTS visit mceclip0.png.