The information on this page was collected from public resources.

Do I need passport/vaccination certificate/chip to enter the country with a pet?

No. Animals are allowed to enter without documents, identification and vaccination. Any necessary veterinary measures, such as rabies vaccination and subsequent isolation, will be determined and ordered after entry. A certificate (Common Health Entry Document โ€“ CHED) from a border inspection at the external border of the EU would be enough to enter Austria with your pet.

For further information contact:

โ€ข Tierschutz Austria 01 699 24 50

How can I get vaccination for my pet on the go?

You can look up for local vets "Tierklinik" or "Tierarzt" around you or find veterinarians who support pets of displaced Ukrainians via VetsforUkraine website.

How can I get medication for my pet?

Here you can find a list of veterinarians in Austria divided by cities:
โ€ข veterinariansguide
โ€ข firmenabั

Free veterinary care is also available at neunerhaus.

Office hours with veterinary care (no vaccinations): Monday and Wednesday from 1 to 2 p.m., Friday 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. An appointment is required for vaccination and chip! Please contact +43 1 990 09 580 to make an appointment.

How can I get food for my pet?

Apart from local stores and supermarkets, you can place your order via Fressnapf website or via Amazon.

Also these organisations offer free pets food and first aid in Vienna:
1. TierQuarTier
Adress: SรผรŸenbrunner StraรŸe 101 1220 Wien

2. Volkshilfe:
- Food and animal equipment
- Veterinary care
- Accommodation of the animals, if they are not allowed in the emergency accommodation
Phone: +43 676 878 445 14
(Monday to Thursday, 7 am to 6 pm and Friday 7 am to 3 pm - German and English)

How can I travel with my pet on a plane?

There are several airlines that allow flying with a pet onboard. It is up to each airplane to establish regulations and additional tariffs. Therefore we advise you to get in contact with the specific airline you plan on using.

The general rule is that pets (together with their crate) which remain below a certain weight may be carried in the cabin, whereas pets exceeding such threshold weight must be carried in the cargo area.

What's required to keep the pet in a given country?

An electronic microchip for dogs is mandatory throughout Austria. The insertion of the microchip is carried out in Austria by veterinarians.

In addition, you must register or report your dog at 2 places:
โ€ข Pet database (you can register your dog online or with a veterinarian).
โ€ข Dog registration with the city of Vienna

For the registration and notification of your dog you need:
โ€ข Microchip number
โ€ข ID card (please upload your "ID card for displaced persons" in the online form for dog delivery registration)
โ€ข Residential address
โ€ข Liability insurance (for a sum of at least 725.000 Euro)

People who have fled from Ukraine do not have to pay a dog levy in Vienna for the year 2022.