The information on this page was collected from public resources.

What childcare options are available for children who are not yet school-aged?

You will get help at the reception centres. In general, an application for a nursery should be submitted to the municipality based on residence. Nursery is not free but the Social Insurance Institution of Finland might grant income support by application.

If children, permanently living in Finland, are in the pre-primary education age (5-6 years), they can participate in pre-primary education organised by the municipality. Pre-primary education for four hours per day is free of charge. Supplementary day care in the mornings and afternoons is not free.

How do I enroll my child(ren) into school?

Your reception centre can help you with enrolling your child in school. Schools are putting in place different types of arrangements to facilitate studies of children who have fled Ukraine. In Finland, all children aged 6 to 17 have the right to schooling and schooling is free of charge.

Please check the information on school education mceclip0.png by the Ministry of Education and Culture.

How can I enroll my child in a Ukrainian school in first grade if we are abroad?

Documents for admission to the school can be submitted online on the website "Electronic registration in institutions of general secondary education" at the link mceclip0.png. To do this, you need to register on the site, choose an institution of general secondary education, create an application and confirm it with documents in the institution

Electronic registration is not available in Kyiv, but it is possible to submit an application online to the school's e-mail address (at the applicant's choice). Enrollment will be carried out on the basis of the application of one of the parents, submitted in person or scanned copies or photocopies. Documents must confirm the place of residence of the child, one of his parents (or people who replace them) in the territory of the institution. If parents do not have the opportunity to obtain a medical certificate for their child by May 31, this is not a reason to refuse enrollment. Original documents and medical certificates must be submitted to the educational institution no later than August 18, 2023 inclusive. More details at the link mceclip0.png.

What happens if my kid gets sick?

ะกhildren's clinics for children up to seven years old are free. Asylum seekers under 18 years of age have the right to receive public health care services on the same grounds as children who have a home municipality in Finland. If you are in Helsinki, child services are available for children under the age of 7 at Helsinkiโ€™s Itรคkatu Family Centre on weekdays 8:00โ€“14:00, tel. +358 9 310 55530.

Can I continue my university studies at another university? What documents do I need?

Some universities are putting in place schemes for Ukrainians. For example, the Aalto University grants study rights and financial aid to Ukrainian students and students who have fled Ukraine after being granted an asylum there. The Aalto University can be contacted at The University of Helsinki grants the right to complete non-degree studies to people who have arrived in Finland and whose degree studies have been suspended at the Ukrainian higher education institution due to war. The University of Helsinki can be contacted at Also, Ukrainian citizens will not be charged for studies at the Open University until autumn 2023.

On the website Study in Finland mceclip0.png, maintained by the Finnish National Agency for Education, you will find information on the study and research opportunities for those whose studies or academic work in Ukraine were disrupted by the war.

The list of all Finnish universities and links to their contact information can be found here mceclip0.png.

Project to support Ukraine of the Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland HERE Ukraine mceclip0.png! offers free tuition at three universities of applied sciences: Haaga-Helia, Laurea and Metropolia. These are two-month online courses, upon completion of which you can receive a certificate and use it to obtain a bachelor's or master's degree at Ukrainian universities or other universities in Finland. They offer educational areas in physiotherapy, social services, real estate and construction, tourism, as well as nursing courses.

You can use the list of universities that help Ukrainian students and scientists on the English-language educational search platform Erudera mceclip0.png. The platform contains 70 offers from universities around the world, including the USA, Australia and Canada. In addition to the country and the name of the university, the table indicates the type of aid and a link mceclip0.png to the university's website.

Science For Ukraine mceclip0.png is a public group of volunteer researchers and students from academic institutions in Europe and around the world who help Ukrainians. You can apply for help through the website, and you can view the entire list of institutions that agree to cooperate with Ukrainian scientists by following the link mceclip0.png.

Useful Telegram channel "Nonformal O" mceclip0.png - scholarships, grants, courses, volunteer projects in all countries for Ukrainians.

Useful Telegram channel "Opportunities" mceclip0.png, where the latest volunteer, educational, career projects in Ukraine and various countries are published. Link to backup channel mceclip0.png.

What languages do I need to speak to be able to study?

Some schools are providing Finnish language classes to Ukrainians, such as Sastamalan Opisto mceclip0.png and Helsingin aikuislukio mceclip0.png.

However, most Finnish universities offer English-language degrees, please refer to the official Study in Finland website mceclip0.png to find opportunities for Ukrainians.

Where can I pass my related language exams (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)?

You can find information about the TOEFL test here mceclip0.png and the IELTS test here mceclip0.png.